Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Professional, Why You Must ONLY Buy This Edition. I Will Explain.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 montecarlo1987

montecarlo1987

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:45 PM

Hello. For those who need some guidance who want Windows 7, I have something I want to share. Forget the Windows bashing and staying with Windows XP right now. Yah, Linux and Mac operating system are great in certain aspects and for Windows XP -- If it ain't broke, don't fix it mentality. Yah, there is some truth and you can make your case, but I am not going to go there here. Have you been deciding on what edition of Windows 7 to buy? I have spent a few hours deciding on the edition of the new Windows 7 I want to buy and I was rash in buying Windows Home Premium. Yah, it is cheaper than the rest, and didn’t want to invest in more money, but I should have spent a little more money. I should have bought Windows 7 Professional. I will explain and I hope you pass this information. I will keep it short. If you’re out shopping for your Windows 7 edition, please keep reading this!

Have you looked at (Microsoft) Windows 7 Support Lifecycle from the Microsoft website (Right from the horse's mouth!)? Website: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifeselectwin

Windows 7 PROFESSIONAL IS the ONLY EDITION THAT HAS MICROSOFT'S EXTENDED SUPPORT!!!! (Okay, so does Windows 7 Enterprise; but for the solo home user or single buyer like me, the Professional edition ONLY we can buy.) As you can see, YOU GET ANOTHER WHOLE 5 YEARS OF SUPPORT from Microsoft and that HAS BEEN ALREADY DECIDED BY Microsoft ON THE HEALS OF THE WINDOWS 7 OFFICIAL RELEASE!!! Take this as advice. As you can also see Windows XP (either Home or Pro editions) has extended Microsoft support because of the sheer numbers of users still using Windows. Microsoft cannot use their base and let XP go now! I personally think Windows XP was not meant to be extended, but because of the low numbers of people (especially businesses) who drifted to Windows Vista, they had to do something to keep their base going! If Vista turned out to be a super success, Windows XP extended support would been non-existent – it would of expired back in 2008. Checking out Windows Vista Business (the last lateral equivalent edition to Windows 7 Professional) also has extended support (and so does Windows Vista Enterprise) but why go out a buy an older operating system by going backwards to Vista? Why go to an operating system that had some problems and has a bad reputation... …unless you want to… …Oh, by the way… …Windows Vista Business and Enterprise extended support ends in 2017! Their support is much later than the rest of Windows Vista editions –parallel reasoning.

I know you are saying that the support for Windows 7 Professional extended support ends 1/14/2020. Who cares! You are saying that I will probably have Windows 8 or even Windows 9 (maybe Windows 10 or whatever it is called) by then! Why do I care about holding onto an old Windows 7 dinosaur operating system in 2020? Yah, but don’t you want to get the most bang for your buck! Maybe Windows 7 you want to keep for awhile. Windows 7 could last a while like Windows XP did (almost a decade) where Microsoft could be slow again with the next Windows release. This could be the case if Windows 7 is a popular operating system. I think popularity tends to slow new innovation WHEN IT COMES TO MICROSOFT. (Usually, it is the other way around where popularity INCREASES innovation.) When Microsoft finds contentment with one of its products, it likes to rest a bit. Microsoft only moves when there are serious issues or bad press. Time will tell. Isn’t it good to keep receiving Microsoft updates so you can keep your older operating system (Right Windows XP users?!) and keep your operating system maintained and running the best way you can for a long as you can! Yes, I know what you’re thinking… …Microsoft updates! They are bad! Are you nuts! Now let’s be real! “Most” are good and Microsoft does well! I would rather have updates and an old stable Windows 7 operating system in 2019 then not! Yah, I know! I know I will have the latest Windows operating system in 2019 and probably care less about Windows 7 Professional at that time. If I know Windows 7 Professional is still being supported by Microsoft then, I WILL STILL USE IT! …and YES, LETS ASSUME EVEN MICROSOFT WILL STILL BE AROUND BY THEN! Bottom line, playing only a little more for Windows 7 Professional (either buying Windows 7 Professional as a full, upgrade, or Anytime Upgrade from Windows Home Premium) is worth “5” more years of an operating system! I sure think it is!

Is it possible that Microsoft add to other Windows 7 editions extended support as well in the future? Maybe, if Windows 7 Home Premium (or Windows 7 Ultimate) becomes a love affair like Windows XP… …but we can’t tell yet. I personally think not. Why? Because the price for Windows 7 Home Premium is the cheapest retail edition in Microsoft’s eyes and will want Windows 7 Home Premium users to get into the next Windows Home Premium operating system. It is the “Home Premium” edition that is the Windows edition that is disposable, so to speak. Microsoft will expect you to upgrade to the next Home Premium edition operating system and not want to extend their support any longer at some point after that next Windows operating system is released. Why not extend support for Windows 7 Ultimate? Hey, you can say that I spent big bucks for that one! I think Microsoft views this edition as expendable as well because most people will not buy this one because it is “too much” for the average user. I mean the Ultimate edition is too much money and too much to learn for the average user. I don’t think so, but Microsoft I think does. You may say… …Hey, guess what? The upgrade price is only $20 more between Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate. I agree, but Microsoft I think sees things differently. I wish they would put extended support on the Ultimate edition. Also, the name “Professional” is directed to business professionals. Microsoft knows the overhead of costs to run a business and knows business professionals are the slowest to change since it is costly to upgrade. I am sure that is why Microsoft plans to extend support for only the Professional edition. Well, if you’re a home user and not even involved as a business, I would still get the Professional edition and use it too!

So what am I going to do now? I am going to buy the Windows 7 Professional Anytime Upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:58 PM

Gosh. Sorry about your issues. I have helped a few dozen people install all flavors of Windows 7 with few issues.

And as for the rest of your post, I pretty much lost interest after a few sentences. Did you have a question in there, or were you just griping?

#3 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:09 PM

montecarlo1987, I have a (possibly dumb) question: Does the support you talk about refer to telephone support or updates?
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:01 AM

And as for the rest of your post, I pretty much lost interest after a few sentences. Did you have a question in there, or were you just griping?

Based on the stated purpose of this section of the board:

Use this forum to discuss, ask questions, and give answers for the Windows 7 operating system from Microsoft.

I'd say he was discussing or, at least, attempting to initiate a discussion on Windows 7 Pro.

Just an observation.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:31 AM

Even Vista mainstream support has not ended yet, and you have started talking about Windows 7 extended support.

Its not so exciting either, extended support lets you download hotfixes and patched every month or so. Now Windows XP is in extended mode but Microsoft has already started to alienate XP. MS refused to release DirectX10 for XP, although it could be easily done. Earlier SMB fix was released only for Vista and 7, MS said that the problem exists in XP but it wont affect users so no fix. Now you can enjoy being in extended mode all you want.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users