Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer shuts down while running antivirus/adware programs

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Great Beej

Great Beej

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:06 PM

I'm not really sure where to post this, so if it needs to be moved I apologize. My wife's friend was having problems with her computer, and asked me to look at it. The original complaint was that it was running slow and shutting down intermittently... slow was an understatement. I started off just looking. I found multiple toolbars running, and got rid of them. Also originally there was a website hxxp://www.tattoodle.com that would keep changing itself to the homepage. It took me a little while but through the Add/Remove programs in the control panel, and resetting IE through internet options, I got rid of the toolbars and tattoodle.I then defragged it both with the standard XP tool, and with Auslogic's defrag tool. Also, I ran a registry repair with CCleaner. I then attempted to run Spybot S&D, everytime I tried the PC shut down on me. I switched to safe mode, and tried again. No luck... it shut down again. Also, I attempted to run a boot scan with Avast! and it shut down partway through that. I have upgraded the ram, and installed a power 350W power supply that I had laying around on an old computer. Now the computer is finally running faster, but the shutdowns during the scans still happen. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Billy Merrell

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bobby-G

Bobby-G

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:50 PM

When I get a computer like this to repair, I usually just take the hard drive out and use another computer to save all files you want to keep and put the drive back in the computer it came from and reformat. Its much simpler and faster than trying to remove the spyware or malware in the drive. I have used several types of anti spyware and most are not very effective once the computer is infected to the point that the computer is about un-usable. Even if you get the malware or spyware out of the drive...there is the very good chance that some programs will now start having errors or stop working altogether. Have you ever reformatted before?

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:05 PM

Great Beej. You may want to read the instructions in Blue towards the top of this page. Then post your problem.

#4 Great Beej

Great Beej
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:25 AM

When I get a computer like this to repair, I usually just take the hard drive out and use another computer to save all files you want to keep and put the drive back in the computer it came from and reformat. Its much simpler and faster than trying to remove the spyware or malware in the drive. I have used several types of anti spyware and most are not very effective once the computer is infected to the point that the computer is about un-usable. Even if you get the malware or spyware out of the drive...there is the very good chance that some programs will now start having errors or stop working altogether. Have you ever reformatted before?

I would like to reformat, but I don't have the original disc that came with the computer. It is an older Compaq SR1053WM. Would I be able to use any windows XP disc and enter her product key or would I have to order a new disc from HP?

Great Beej. You may want to read the instructions in Blue towards the top of this page. Then post your problem.

I'm not sure what other details you want me to provide other than my OS. This computer is running Windows XP Home Edition SP3 and for the most part IE7(once I get it running right I plan on upgrading it to 8) . There were no error messages, it just turned completely off, didn't reset or anything like that.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,721 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:36 AM

I would have tried to eliminate possible heat issues as a suspect...before venturing on to other items...assuming that it was shutting downl when not running malware scans of any sort. Hard to tell from your post if such was the case.

Louis

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:49 AM

...assuming that it was shutting downl when not running malware scans of any sort. Hard to tell from your post if such was the case.

Louis

..........I then attempted to run Spybot S&D, everytime I tried the PC shut down on me. I switched to safe mode, and tried again. No luck... it shut down again. Also, I attempted to run a boot scan with Avast! and it shut down partway through that.
Thank you in advance,

Billy Merrell

Between the above quoted post and the fact he was able to run two different defrags seemingly without a shut down..........

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,721 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:08 PM

<<...original complaint was that it was running slow and shutting down intermittently..>>

I assumed (:thumbsup:, yes I know) that intermittently means...before the OP took a look at it).

Yes, we know what happened after he got his hands on it, but it's probably just as important what happened before he stepped in. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Louis

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:28 PM

<<...original complaint was that it was running slow and shutting down intermittently..>>
but it's probably just as important what happened before he stepped in. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Louis

Absolutely. But...... :thumbsup: Multiple toolbars were found installed. That leads me to believe some questionable software was installed or the original user was careless in surfing habits, clicking links, accepting pop-ups, perhaps hit by a drive-by, etc.
There may very well be an overheating problem, perhaps caused by the questionable software, lack of internal maintenance, both? :flowers:

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,721 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:03 PM

Touche :thumbsup:.

Hopefully, we will get some feedback pretty soon from the OP.

Louis

#10 Great Beej

Great Beej
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:12 PM

Hey I appreciate all the help. I considered a heat issue, from what I could tell with the case off, all the fans were running. I am not on that computer at the moment, but from what I could tell the temperatures were not very high during normal operation, I'm pretty positive that the lady who owned it though was rather careless with what she did on the computer though. I know, i saw a bunch of file sharing programs. When I get back on it to try to mess with it again later this evening, I'll get the actual temperatures and such .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users