Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with display - Squares on screen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dbizzy

dbizzy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:43 PM

Hi, I was having a problem and was wondering if anybody could help me remedy this. I installed a new geforce 8400 gs video card on my dell dimension 5150 desktop with on-board graphics and after I switched to the new card, squares began to appear in the middle of my screen within minutes after restarting Windows XP. The boxes would flicker when watching a video or moving the mouse, and inside the squares were what appeared to be parts of a window that was open previously. When I scrolled up or down a Firefox browser, more squares would appear vertically.

The problem would go away after I reverted back to the on-board graphics.

Thinking my card was defective, I had it replaced with the same one and now I am having the same issue. Do you think it's the motherboard? I've inckuded some screenshots to show you what I'm dealing with. Any advice would be great, thanks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:58 PM

I'm wondering if your power supply is not strong enough to hold the added video card.

Have a look at the power supply and see if it's marked 250W. If it is, I would definately recommend a more powerful power supply.

350 Watts should be good for what you have including the video card.

I'm also wondering if your 8400 had a power connector on it. If it did, make absolutely certain it is plugged in tightly.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 dbizzy

dbizzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:31 PM

Funny you should ask. My old 305w dell ps recently just failed me after 3 years so I replaced it with a 450w. Also, there isn't a power connector to this video card. hmm...

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:34 PM

Can you give us the name and model number of the new power supply?
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#5 dbizzy

dbizzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:20 PM

It's a Kingwin ABT-450MM power supply