Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

virtual memory

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jaykb

jaykb

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:13 PM

What is going on with my computer? I'm running WinXP, 512 ram on a systemax v9500 It takes 2 to 3 hrs after I start up to be able to connect to the internet, or do anything. I have run cccleaner, spybot, advanced system care, zonealarm, and avg. everyday. I have defragged the computer. I have uninstalled programs that I don't use often. My computer constantly freezes up. I get messages that my virtual memory is low. I uninstalled zonealarm and avg and reinstalled both. What do I do next?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:50 PM

Add RAM.

Louis

#3 Bobby-G

Bobby-G

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:04 PM

It sounds like you are having pagefile issues. You may want to go to your system properties and go to the advanced tab. Click on the settings button next to performance. Then click on the advanced tab. Click the change button and select system managed size and click set. You will need to restart for settings to take effect. Yo may want to add ram to the system - 512 is ok as long as you dont have anything running that uses alot of ram. 2GB will really help make the system run better.

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:12 PM

If the let windows manage pagefile setting doesn't do it, make sure that the pagefile is set at around 768 meg. Adding ram will help but I only have 640 meg of ram and do not have any problems that could be attributed to lack of ram, even with running multiple applications. I have never tried to play any games that take a lot of ram though.

Even with having only 512 meg of ram, it should no way take that long to be able to do stuff on your system. 512 meg of ram should be enough to run XP without the problems you are experiencing.

Has it always taken that long to get it going?

Have you checked to see what programs you have running at startup? Since you already have Spybot, you can use the startup page located in the tools section of it to check those.

Do you use the TeaTimer function of Spybot? If so, uncheck the box to use that and see what happens.

When you say you are running ZoneAlarm, do you mean just the firewall?

Edited by Stang777, 12 November 2009 - 08:18 PM.

#5 jaykb

jaykb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:26 PM

Now after I finished posting my computer was working just fine. But if I shut it down and start it up again, the problem starts all over again.
I uninstalled avg and teatimer and zonealarm to see if either was the problem. Started up without them same problem, so reinstalled them both.
What is the scanningprocess.exe?
Actually this all started about a week ago I was on facebook, doing some games and it started freezing up, and I couldn't close it down.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:32 PM

The process ScanningProcess belongs to the software PC Tools AntiVirus or ScanningProcess.exe or Acoustica Effects Pack or ZoneAlarm Security Suite or ZoneAlarm Anti-virus or ScanningProcess.exe or Online Armor AV+ or Select eScan Anti Virus or SecurityPlus for MDaemon or Kaspersky Lab. ScanningProcess by Kaspersky Lab (www.kaspersky.com).

More info FileNet
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:38 PM

Scanning Process is a normal process for ZoneAlarm Antivirus which scans files that are being accessed by anything. If no files are being accessed, it should not be using any ram. If you have that running, then it seems you are running the Antivirus part of ZA. You should not be running that and AVG, pick just one antivirus.

Since this problem just occured after doing something on Facebook, first thing I would do is run scans with Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware

Edited by Stang777, 12 November 2009 - 09:39 PM.

#8 jaykb

jaykb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:04 PM

you guys are good. Ok I increased page filing to 768 from 720 ran my malware and spyware. rebooted, computer seems to be running normal again. Will invest in more ram also. Thank you for your help and time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users