Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Underclocking a laptop GPU

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Richiiee

Richiiee

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:04 PM

Hey, I have a Dell laptop GPU that I want to underclock... I'm not sure what its current core/memory clock speed are. It doesn't get very hot, but I basically want to get some more battery life out of this thing, and also, it sometimes displays graphical artifacts (pretty sure the GPU is damaged), so I was hoping maybe turning down its power might help get rid of some of those problems. I'm not a gamer at all and the only graphic-related stuff I do is graphic design with Photoshop, and of course watching videos and what not, but underclocking the GPU wouldn't affect that. I have RivaTuner but basically have no idea how to use it... also are there any risk factors to UNDERclocking? I'd love to get some help on how exactly to do this. Thanks!

Dell Inspiron 9300
1.73GHz Intel Centrino Processor
NVIDIA Geforce 6800 GO
1GB DDR2 RAM
100GB 7200RPM HDD

Edited by Richiiee, 12 November 2009 - 06:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Richiiee

Richiiee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2009 - 04:02 PM

Does anybody have any tips for me?

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2009 - 04:58 PM

None other than to tell you you cannot do this with a Dell
Retail box makers pretty much lock any settings in the BIOS
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Richiiee

Richiiee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2009 - 07:09 PM

Damn... thanks anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users