Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I enable a "disabled" drive?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 angelsfire15

angelsfire15

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:36 PM

System:
Microsoft Windows XP
Media Center Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Manufactured and supported by:
Toshiba
Satellite
Genuine Intel® CPU
T2050 @ 1.60GHz
798 MHz, 0.99 GB of RAM

Here's my problem- when I try to run Sonic RecordNow! to burn a DVD or CD, I get this message:

"All your drives are set to disabled. On this operating system, in order to start RecordNow! you must either physically remove your drive(s) or enable at least one drive."

I was burning CD's no problem 3 days ago, and now I get that message. Here is a brief description/history of this computer. Several months ago my ex gf downloaded some god awful virus while watching some tv shows on my computer and completely crippled it, I couldn't even run anti-viral software to try to clean it up. A few days ago a friend of mine did a System Restore, and since then, I have done the following:

* I have updated and ran Malwarebytes and AVG.
* I Installed Spy Doctor 6.0 but I have not ran it.
* I have ran the Disk Cleanup utility.
* Using Sonic RecordNow! I burned one CD (a few days ago) with no problems.
* I watched some avi files with Windows Media Player, but couldn't get some of them to play, so I downloaded VLC and it worked.
* I installed VLC media player and watched some avi files with it.
* I installed AxCrypt, but I haven't used it.
* I have deleted some old avi files.
* I have transferred files to and from, using a jump drive and an SD card. I didn't install any new software for this, it was already installed.
* I Updated CCleaner and ran it's Cleaner function with default settings, except I unchecked the AVG AntiVirus box. I have also used CCleaner
Tools>Startup menu to remove (disable) the following from the start up menu:
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (reboot)
AVG8_TRAY
CanonSolutionMenu
Service Manager .Ink (this is sqlmangr.exe)

That's everything I did before I discovered RecordNow! no longer worked. I don't know if it's related, but after finding RecordNow! didn't work, I tried to burn a CD with Windows Media Player, and couldn't access it. Then I tried to play an avi with Windows Media Player, and didn't have the option in the drop down menu, and in fact could not even find it with "Browse for program." I thought this may have had something to do with the System Restore my friend had to do, and that I might need to reinstall something. Although I couldn't remember running Windows Media Center ever before, I thought maybe I had to run Center to restore Player. I went through the Wizard setup for Center, and that did not restore Windows Media Player. Then by pure accident I found that under "Set Program Access and Defaults" access to Windows Media Player had been disabled, and that all I needed to do was check the box. Or maybe VLC disabled access to Windows Media Player.

So my issue is figuring out how to get RecordNow! to work again, (I guess by enabling some drive) but as a side note if someone knows how and would share, I would appreciate help with completely wiping Windows Media Center from my computer. It's doing some really creepy things, like finding someone's XBOX 360 without an internet connection, and it keeps trying to turn on Messenger, and do some other things, all without being told. After reading more about Windows Media Center over the past few hours, it looks like it does an awful lot of connecting to the internet and sending and receiving info, without being prompted to.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help, and if I need to include more information about something let me know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:40 PM

What model Satellite? Some have matsubleepa dvd drives and use the ramasst driver to enable writing dvd. There is a message on boot (or until you remove it from startup) asking if you want to disable the xp cd writing so you can write dvd.

Do you remember seeing that at some point?

The rest of your post rambles a bit but indicate there are some things going on that you don't understand.

some xboxs use wireless gaming adapters which your wireless network can detect. If you have a neighbor with one of these adapters it might show up.

Also, did your friend use the disks that came with your computer? Some satellites of the same base model number come in xp home OR xp media center editions. I have a set of each for the m110/m115 series. The disks look exactly the same except for a different part number. I used the xp home set on the mediacenter edition once and there were a lot of drivers missing and error messages.

Lets take your issues one at a time and get some info. To start with what is the whole model number of the laptop.

#3 angelsfire15

angelsfire15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:45 PM

Satellite A105-S4284 System Unit
Model No PSAA8U-0FH02K

Matbleepa DVD-RAM UJ-8415
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Version: 5.1.2535.0
Driver Files:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys Provider: Microsoft File Version: 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\DLACDBHM.SYS Provider: Sonic Solutions File Version: 5.20.01a
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\DRVMCDB.SYS Provider: Sonic Solutions File Version: 3.30.04a
C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\imapi.sys Provider: Microsoft File Version: 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys Provider: Microsoft File Version: 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\storprop.dll Provider: Microsoft File Version: 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108)

The system restore was not done with disks, just one the computers own restore points. If I've seen the option to disable xp cd writing, I know I didn't utilize it.
Ugh. Why can't everything I own just work perfectly all the time...

#4 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 14 November 2009 - 01:31 AM

There may be something like this somewhere on your computer

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/su...0339010_web.pdf
I gives the details of creating or ordering your recovery disks for factory as shipped. Last time I ordered one it was about 20.00

You may also have a "toshiba disk creator" somewhere on the menu. This should let you make a recovery dvd disk or set. And you should.

This one should go to the downloads page for your model:
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su...mily=1073768663

There is a dvd driver update from 2006 which may or may not be newer from the one you are using. Microsoft sometimes supplies optional hardware updates which don't work or work oddly on oem computers.

Your computer shipped with xp medicenter 2005 and your computer has hardware (the buttons along the left side) that use the functions of mediacenter as well as a possibly a linux partition with "express media player" which is used when the computer is not booted, to play cd's and dvd's (the m110/m115 series has this and the button layout looks exactly like yours.)

You can always use the retail operating system disks to put whatever OS you like on this system but it cannot use the same xp mediacenter license key your preinstalled system does. From the specs toshiba supports and has drivers for vista and win7 for this model laptop. They may have a good deal on an upgrade through them.

I am doing a recovery install of a compaq v6000 running mediacenter 2005 and I don't see anything odder than other xp systems. Mediacenter 2002 was a different story. Out the door too soon and not enough published docs for the oems to properly integrate into their hardware.

Your preinstalled system came with all kinds of exceptions added to the windows firewall for each of the fluff and cruft the oem was paid to put on there as well as all kinds of exceptions for windows media player.
I remove all exceptions and enable them one at a time if it asks while doing something I want it to do. VLC is a better all round media player anyway.

Messenger should be something you can disable in its config or at least stop it from loading on boot. Try right click on the taskbar icon.

----------

Have you run malware bytes recently, I see from up thread that you uninstalled or stopped it from loading on boot?
Some malware are known to replace the masubleepa dvd compatability driver ramasst and hide there.

Can you use the built in xp record function to burn cds? CD and dvd burners use windows drivers to read cd's but usually vendor drivers and firmware to write. It is possible the burner is failing. It will continue to read long after the burn function is inop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users