Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Dimension 8300 PSU & VCard Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sesoit

sesoit

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:17 PM

I want to upgrade my PSU for my Dell Dimension 8300 to be able to use the newer video cards. I read up on how the PSUs by Dell are wired differently from the standard PSUs, so I'm gonna have to get one that's compatible. I might be getting this card:

BFG GeForce 7600GS OCd
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/se...mp;body=QA#tabs

It says at minimum a 350W PSU.
Right now I have a GeForce FX5200 in my system.
I'll have to check what my current PSU is - it might actually be adequate enough =P

I would also like to know if I would need any third-party cooling additions for the Video Card and Power Supply or if the cooling systems included with the products are sufficient.

I'd just like to hear what you guys would recommend for my system, I live in Canada so no newegg.com for me, but I could just get the names of the products. Thanks.
I'll check up on the current PSU when I get the time.

*Edit
Just checked inside the case and I currently have a 250W PSU
Would I be able to use this 250W PSU with the 7600GS just w/o the maximum potential of the card or do I really need the 350W PSU to even be able to run the card?

Edited by sesoit, 12 November 2009 - 05:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:31 PM

You really need to get a new PSU. It probably will not work at all.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:05 PM

Well, it uses a standard ATX PSU, so don't get the proprietary Dell units used on the earlier models.

According to my happy chart, a 7600GS and a FX5200 both pull about 30 watts. I can't imagine that overclock version pulling more than 40 watts. If it were me, I would give it a shot with your current PSU.

Edited by dpunisher, 12 November 2009 - 08:06 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 sesoit

sesoit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:55 PM

Alright, thanks for the info. I'll try my current PSU just cause it means spending less money. If I think the 7600gs isn't working at full I might buy another PSU.

If I do try my current PSU would there be any possibility of damaging my system because the vid card doesn't have the minimum amount of Wattage? From my own logic, I don't see how it could, but just to make sure, i'm asking =D

Edited by sesoit, 12 November 2009 - 09:57 PM.

#5 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:04 PM

your system might become unstable, but I don't see any reason why there would be any damage
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:16 PM

If I do try my current PSU would there be any possibility of damaging my system because the vid card doesn't have the minimum amount of Wattage?

Well, if a power supply dies for whatever reason, it can take out other components. (E-Machines Oh My!) My point was that since your two videocards are so close in wattage demand, I think there is minimal risk in trying. As far as damaging a videocard because of insufficient voltage, I don't see that happening.

Edited by dpunisher, 12 November 2009 - 10:19 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 sesoit

sesoit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:21 PM

Ok thanks for your help guys, I'll try it with my current PSU and see what happenes. Problem now is trying to find it in stores cause I never really did trust shipping w/ its high shipping prices xD

#8 sesoit

sesoit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2009 - 04:01 PM

Ugh, I couldn't find it anywhere in stores but I did find an ATI x1650 pro AGP which they said was better. All I need to know is if my amp rating on the 12v rail (16A) is enough to accommodate the card. I've tried searching online for minimum specs for the x1650, but no luck. Only general watts were given D:

#9 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2009 - 04:46 PM

Depending on the stock clocks of the card, it might pull north of 60 watts. That might be pushing it a bit with a stock 250 watt PSU.

#10 sesoit

sesoit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:41 AM

I did a bit of more research and I came across someone saying something about Dell rating their PSUs with sustained watts rather than peak watts which is what most other companies do. So would this mean that my PSU is slightly better than sounds? I don't know, I'm just trying to find every piece of hope I have for just upgrading this card and nothing else. I might just upgrade the PSU and VCard at the same time when I have the money just to be safe.

Edited by sesoit, 22 November 2009 - 01:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users