Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is media player classic unsafe?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stillwaters

stillwaters

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:49 PM

Hi everyone!

I got sick of Realplayer so I finally uninstalled it and installed Real Alternative to play ram files. It installed media player classic 6.4.9.1 along with it. Secunia PSI detects it as an "end of life program." Does having this on my computer really make it more vulnerable? What if the program is closed? Are there any alternatives?

Thank you for your expert help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:25 PM

In 2007, development of MPC was abandoned. May be thats what Secunia is telling you, that you wont get any updates of this product. Which means that if there are any security flaws found n product in future you wont have updates. So start using a product which is still being developed or supported. Although there are no known security problems with MPC.

Open source community has started a new player, picking right after MPC. Its called Media Player Classic - Home Cinema. Latest version released was in August 2009. ( http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/ )

You can also try the open source VLC Media Player which does not require you to install any external codecs. ( http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ )

#3 stillwaters

stillwaters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 01:29 AM

Thanks for the reply, I just wanted to make sure I'm safe. Do you know if Real Alternative works with MPC Home Cinema?

Thank You

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:00 AM

Yes, it works.
But instead of putting pieces together you should download K-Lite Mega Codec pack and install that. It would install many codecs along with real alternative and MPC-Home Cinema.

Download:
http://www.codecguide.com/download_k-lite_...c_pack_mega.htm

Edited by Romeo29, 13 November 2009 - 09:03 AM.

#5 stillwaters

stillwaters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:03 AM

Downloaded and installed.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users