Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 KenBannon

KenBannon

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:30 PM

Hi all. I have an external hard drive that was given to me a few months back. It has worked perfectly until yesterday when I tried to access it and the computer said it wasn't formatted. I hooked it up to my
second computer and it said the same thing. After numerous attempts, I figured "to heck with this" and I said yes to formatting. Then after a few minutes, the computer said that windows couldn't finish the formatting. It reads that the drive is plugged into a usb port but when I click on properties it says that the drive is full, when it should only be about 1/4 used up.
Please help, thanks....Ken

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,130 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:11 PM

Maybe that's why it was given away...problems with the drive.

I suggest running the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic on it, Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Run the long/extended test, if long/short options are offered.

Louis

#3 KenBannon

KenBannon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:43 PM

I went to my computer and right clicked on properties/tools error check and it says that it cannot run on this volume. This is so strange because I never did anything but turn this darn thing off the other night.

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ken

#4 KenBannon

KenBannon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:15 AM

Thanks Louis for the tip. I will give it a try.

#5 KenBannon

KenBannon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:30 AM

Hey Louis, I did what you suggested but when the program finished, it said I have 3 hard drives including the external one (it even list the name of it as PLATINUM 250G 8F7200 USB Device [Hard drive] (250.99 GB) -- drive 2) but does not list it under "local drive volumes). Do you think it is just busted and should be replaced. Another program said it's (the external drives) file system was unknown.

Thanks, Ken

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,130 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:16 AM

There's only one utility that counts (IMO)...the appropriate manufacturer's diagnostic (long test).

What does it say about the functionality of the drive?

Louis

#7 bestof

bestof

• Banned
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:26 PM

Maybe that's why it was given away...problems with the drive.

I suggest running the appropriate hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic on it, Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Run the long/extended test, if long/short options are offered.

Louis

Good, thanks, this helps me as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users