Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank or Missing Pixel on Desktop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BrendanK

BrendanK

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:32 PM

I have a blank or missing pixel on my desktop and can't figure out why it's there. This is not a problem with my monitor because the pixel is not missing when I open up a web browser or run a program, etc.

I recently upgraded by computer to Windows 7 a few weeks ago and installed a fresh copy on to my computer. When I was changing the wall paper on the desktop I noticed the pixel.

I first thought it was a dead pixel in my monitor but is not. My screen settings are 1920 x 1080 which is the exact resolution of my monitor. I attached a screen shot of my desktop and pasted it below.

Does anyone know what this could be? Thanks,

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:58 PM

Those look like what are called stuck pixels.

You can try this little online utility to fix them. If it does not work then they are probably dead pixels. If the monitor has any type of warranty then pursue that.

#3 BrendanK

BrendanK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:35 PM

Thanks Thunder2 for the information.

I ran the JScreen Fix and placed it over the blank pixel for 20 mins but it didn't work.

The monitor is only a month old, and is under warranty, but I don't think it's a problem with my monitor.

The area on my desktop where the missing pixel is all black. If open a all black image and move the image over the area where the missing pixel is, the monitor displays the full image, and the missing pixel is no longer missing.

When I had Vista installed on this computer I never saw the missing pixel either. I noticed this shortly after I installed Windows 7 a few weeks ago.

Does anyone have any other ideas of what this could be?

Thanks.

#4 BrendanK

BrendanK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 02:38 AM

I found the fix to this problem in another forum.

The blank pixel is created when running AOL software.

I have AOL 9.5 installed, when you open task manager and close the AOL software, the blank pixel is gone.

When you start AOL again, it comes back.

I'm glad this was an easy fix and not a virus. :thumbsup:

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:17 AM

Thanks for the follow-up BK. Will have to tuck that away in my little book of causes and cures.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users