Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing Computers at Work

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:23 PM

At my office, I am scheduled to move to a different office with a different computer. I do not use my computer for any inappropriate activities but I do use it to track some of my favorite sites - such as Bleeping Computer! What should I make sure to delete so that the person moving to this computer has a "clean start?"

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:35 PM

To start with, any "saved" passwords. From there, any programs, bookmarks, favorite places you have installed or linked to.
Be sure to log out of any online sites. Especially shopping or emails.

Edited by buddy215, 12 November 2009 - 01:36 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:37 PM

I would simply delete/save all favorities and all cookies, as well as the obvious "My" group of files.

Louis

#4 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:47 PM

You may also want to empty the cache, empty the recycle bin, run the system cleanup utility, and defragment the hard drive.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#5 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:50 PM

Thanks. Where would the cache and cookies be? And where are all the "my files?"

#6 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:26 PM

hamluis means my documents, my pictures, etc.
Go to internet options and delete all temporary files. That will clear the cache.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#7 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:23 AM

Thanks everyone!

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 01:23 PM

You can also use this program
Please download TFC by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link
  • Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
  • Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.
  • Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users