Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After blue screen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ShingleServ

ShingleServ

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:17 PM

Hello,

To start off I would like to say that the computer that I'm having trouble with is mine, and I have built it from the ground up.
I'm an IT student in college so I'm quite knowledgeable with computers.

That being said today I was using my computer and suddenly the screen locked up and all these horizontal red lines and dots appeared all over my screen. They weren't isolated to a certain spot.

Next my computer speaker begins to beep, and then the screen began to "blink" and it eventually resulted in a bsod.

So I restarted my computer and logged back in without any troubles. After about 5 more minutes of my computer working it began again more slowly this time. In a few spots these red dots/lines appeared and gradually expanded to a larger area of the screen. Then yet again the monitor began blinking and my pc speaker went crazy again. I didn't give it a chance to get to bsod due to the beeping hurting my ears.

I shut down my computer and let it sit for a while and started it back up about 30min later. So far it is running stable and not showing any signs from before, but I want to figure out why this happened and what I can do to fix it.
I'm running windows XP Pro fully updated, and have spybot S&D with sofos antivirus(college network requires it).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:42 PM

What is the make and model of the motherboard?

The beeps are a code pointing to the problem. They may have been long, short, or a combination of both. There should have been a pattern to them. Can you tell us what it was?

#3 ShingleServ

ShingleServ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:54 PM

The mother board is a M2N-SLI delux made by ASUS.

The beeps at the first crash were short and spaced out.
And the beeps at the second crash were long and I'm pretty sure constant. There didn't seem to be any pause in between.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:57 PM

You might also check that your fans are working properly.

Louis

#5 ShingleServ

ShingleServ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:01 PM

Yes that was the first thing I checked, I opened up my case to see if it was running too hot.
I also put my fan from my PSU on its "turbo" mode so it blows faster haha.

I also have just updated the drivers from my graphics card (Nvidia 8800GTS 640mb) because this problem seems to occur when I have some kind of game running or anything that would put stress on my card.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:13 PM

Following Louis`s thought. Is the fan on the graphics card functioning?

Unsure of who the BIOS provider is but here is a list of the more common BIOS and their codes.

Edited by ThunderZ, 12 November 2009 - 02:17 PM.

#7 ShingleServ

ShingleServ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:15 PM

I'm pretty sure the graphics card fan is working properly.
I have class now until around 4:30pm EST. So i'm going to also go to the IT department and ask around a little.
When i get back I'm going to do a much more in depth rundown of my PC to see what's happening.

I shut it down and opened the case up so that if over heating is the problem that it gets plenty of time to cool off.

Thanks for the help, Ill be posting again when I get back from class.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users