Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting up my wireless router

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AlterFox

AlterFox

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 12:40 PM

I have a Sony Vaio laptop & I am running Windows Vista. I have Road Runner high speed internet (cable), & I want to set it up for wireless. I bought this router http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WRT54G2-Wire...7335&sr=8-1 and followed all the instructions to set it up, but the wireless network I made doesn't show up. The blue cord is connected to the router and the modem, but it doesnt specify what to do with the ethernet cord exacty. Can someone tell me exactly how it should be plugged in? Am I doing something wrong or missing a step? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you! =]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:15 PM

On the back of the router there should be 4 ports grouped together and 1 by itself. The one by itself should have Internet or WAN or something by it. This is where the wire should go from the modem.

Just to make sure everything is working, plug your laptop into one of the 4 ports grouped together, reboot and try to surf. If you can then the router is hooked up to the modem just fine.

I am assuming when you say "the wireless network you made" you mean on your laptop? Once you know you can surf, run the CD that came with the router. It will take you step by step setting up the router including the wireless part.

When it comes to security, WPA2 is the best going. Just make sure you can set that up on your laptop as well.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users