Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corel Uninstall kills windows explorer speed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 weaksnyc

weaksnyc

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:39 AM

I'm running Vista Home and windows explorer is painfully slow to load (the C:\ drive is the worst, taking up to a couple of minutes to load C:\ in explorer). I have attributed the problem to uninstalling Corel Paint Shop Pro and Corel Snapfire, both programs that Sony pre-installs on their VAIO laptops.

This is the second time this has happened, and after putting up with it for a while the first time, I reformatted and all was well... that is, until I decided to uninstall the Corel crap again, and bam... explorer back to a crawl. I do remember this happening the first time after uninstalling the crapware, but attributed it to installing/uninstalling a number of other things at the same time. This time, I'm positive it was the uninstallation of the Corel programs that is causing the problem because I did nothing else to trigger it.

My question is: has anyone heard of this happening, or maybe have had it happen to them? I have no idea how to fix this, and reformatting is not an option before the weekend. Waiting for directories to load this long will kill my productivity...

Thanks in advance. :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Senlis

Senlis

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:27 AM

There are a few things I would try first, since you have attributed it to uninstalling a program.

1) chkdsk c: /r
2) run CCleaner file and registry scan http://www.ccleaner.com/
3) defragment

See what happens after those are ran. Be sure to back up any unreplaceable information before trying anything.

#3 weaksnyc

weaksnyc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:43 AM

I appreciate the help, but it looks like the issue IS related to Corel, and it has to do with icon associations and how Explorer loads them - and it doesn't look to be Vista specific.

Mark Russinovich reported on this issue a while back in Windows XP, and I'll repaste the info (emphasis added) here with the hopes of helping someone else before they have to scour the net for help. I hope this isn't against board policies.

http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/a...orer-hangs.aspx

"...There was the answer. I have for a long time used an older version of Paint Shop Pro as my picture viewer because it has the features I need and the convenience of the fact that you donít need run an installer to use it. If you run its executable, Psp.exe, Paint Shop Pro configures its settings automatically and runs correctly even from network shares. That means that I can put it on one system in my network and run it from the others.

The system from which Iíd originally run it was the decommissioned computer, Development. Paint Shop creates browse files in the folders you view with its browse functionality and the Regmon trace revealed that it registers an icon for those browse files. Since I hadnít performed any kind of uninstall the icon for Paint Shop Proís browse file type was still registered to the original location of the executable on the missing computer. When Explorer came across one of those browse files it tried to load the icon, and because Explorer is, even today, sadly largely single-threaded, when the network driver waited for the phantom system to respond Explorerís user interface hung.

Now I was left with fixing the problem. I found after some digging that there is no way to easily manage default icon associations through any supported means in the Explorer UI. I could have hunted down every Paint Shop Pro-related file in Explorer's File Types tab in the Folder Options dialog and deleted the associations, but instead I just manually deleted Paint Shop Proís registry keys and browse files from my systems.

Using Process Explorer, Filemon and Regmon I had diagnosed and fixed the problem in about 15 minutes. Whatís disturbing to me about this troubleshooting example is that the average user confronted with the same scenario would have had no way of knowing what was causing the hangs or of fixing them. This is just one example of the many types of Windows issues that cause users to complain that their systems slow down over time and that result in a general ďI donít know, just reinstallĒ mentality. I hope Vista does better."

I haven't gone about fixing anything yet, but I'll post back with what I do and if it works.

Thanks again.

#4 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:31 AM

Just read this and it seems like Corel seems to leave crap behind after uninstallation !

The Corel applications will also install licensing service called ProtexisLicensing, provided by PSIservice, which will phone home to Corel. PSIservice cannot be removed or else PSPX (Paint Shop Pro X) will stop working, and will persist even after PSPX is uninstalled.

So i think it is going to be causing you prolems until you find a way round it if you know what i mean (" He says without getitng into trouble ") !
Hope you get sorted Good Luck !!

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users