Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System hanging or stalling (My Computer, Taskbar)

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:33 AM

Hello,

Recently I have started having some trouble with my machine, obviously or I wouldn't be posting. :huh:

This is a fairly new machine, I bought it about a year ago. Here are the specs from the system info, if you need more let me know.

OS Name: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate (Pre-loaded, couldn't get XP anymore)
Version: 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Dell XPS420
System Type: X86-based PC
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz, 2493 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory: 3.25 GB
Available Physical Memory: 1.37 GB
Total Virtual Memory: 6.70 GB
Available Virtual Memory: 4.70 GB

Problem

The trouble seems to be with the machine hanging or stalling. I notice it when I am in Windows Explorer (My Computer), for instance if I bring up the context menu (RMB) I will get the rotating circle (what used to be the hour glass) for a minute or two, literally. Another time the context menu will come right up, but a sub-menu (like New > Folder) will take a while to come up. I've also seen the problem with the toolbars in the taskbar (in the Quick Launch area). When I select the toolbar, and a menu pops up displaying the available shortcuts, that menu with display but the shortcuts that should be listed will take a minute or two, literally, to display. I think I've seen it happen with programs like Firefox or iTunes, but I'm not 100% sure about that since this has only been going on for a short time.

What I've already done/tried

I've run a virus scan, McAfee (It came pre-installed when I bought the machine from Dell), SpyBot Search & Destroy, Windows Defender, I've taken a look at my start-up programs and shut down those that I don't need. Defraged the hard drive, Deleted my temporary files (in the temp folders and the Internet temp files), run the Disk Clean-up process. I think that's it, all I can remember any ways.

------

There are no error messages

I haven't installed any new programs recently, other then updates (Windows Update, Drivers and Downloads from the Dell support Center).

I'm not sure what other information you need, if something is missing, please just ask. If I don't know how to get what you ask for I'll let you know, I'm not to proud to show my ignorance with computers. My login name should say it all. :huh:

Thank you in advance (in case I forget to say it later)

Jim
These days, I spend a lot of time thinking about the hereafter...
I go somewhere to get something, and wonder what I'm here after.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:25 AM

Hi there have you got malwarebytes installed if not download it from this link http://www.malwarebytes.org/ click the blue download its the free version
Save it to desktop
Rename it to something like bongo.exe
Double click exe icon then run
Follow instructions final window will say " Do you want to run mbam " and "Do you want to find updates"
Click yes / finish
If you want to, before you actually run the scan, you can restart PC in safe mode and then run the scan, if Mbam finds anything you will have to click to fix anything found and then restart your PC before the actions have completed !

Hope this helps Good Luck !! :huh:

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:29 AM

Mbam was designed to run in Normal mode
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 04:29 PM

Hi there have you got malwarebytes installed if not download it from this link http://www.malwarebytes.org/ click the blue download its the free version
Save it to desktop
Rename it to something like bongo.exe
Double click exe icon then run
Follow instructions final window will say " Do you want to run mbam " and "Do you want to find updates"
Click yes / finish
If you want to, before you actually run the scan, you can restart PC in safe mode and then run the scan, if Mbam finds anything you will have to click to fix anything found and then restart your PC before the actions have completed !

Hope this helps Good Luck !! :huh:

Two questions:

Why do I need to rename the executable for the software? Just wondering what the significants is? I've never had anyone tell me to do something like that before.

I have two logins on this machine, mine and my wifes. Should I run this on both logins? Does it matter?

Edited by OS_Challenged, 13 November 2009 - 04:31 PM.

#5 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:22 PM

Mbam was designed to run in Normal mode

Yes we know this Garmanma but it can be run in safe mode !

Answer to #1 Renaming the exe i think helps other malware / spyware not to recognise it as a deterrent it just thinks its another piece of software ! " I THINK "

Answer to #2 It is up to you, if it was me then yes i would, due to you having different files or folders in each account and the malware may have hidden itself in one of your wifes !

"Measure twice cut once" as the saying goes !

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#6 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 09:45 PM

Malwarebytes can be run in both modes, but it strength is in normal mode. Performing a Full Scan will scan all files in all profiles designated by the mode - It will also scan all drives listed. So you should be fine. There is also an accompanying program that can be used with Malwarebytes called RKill. RKill works to allow Malwarebytes to run.

If you wish to follow the malware cleaning path, I will be glad to transfer this topic to the Am I Infect forum for you :huh:
Just let us know.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#7 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:01 PM

OK, finally got through all the runs. I have run Malwarebytes on both logins, in normal mode and safe mode, it found nothing in all of the runs.

What's next?

#8 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:44 AM

If you wish to follow the malware cleaning path, I will be glad to transfer this topic to the Am I Infect forum for you :huh:
Just let us know.

If you truly feel that's where the problem lies then sure, but if there's still a chance it could be something else, then lets wait.

What's the next step?

Edited by OS_Challenged, 19 November 2009 - 10:23 AM.

#9 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:03 AM

Let take a look with Process Explorer and see what is dragging the system down.

Please download Process Explorer.
Expand the folder by double clicking on the file. Run the Process Explorer program. The program will open and look for programs with high CPU usage. If you see one, please post it here. You can minimize that program and watch the graph in the system tray - beside clock to see if something spikes.

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#10 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2009 - 12:18 PM

That's a very good idea, wish I'd thought of it. I've had P/E for some time and didn't even think of that. Be back to you when I've got something.

Thanks...

#11 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 02:11 AM

Well, it looks like the culprit is a file called Mcshield.exe which is a McAfee process. I base this on two results, one when this process is running and I go to File > New (and it hangs) this process jumps up from 0 to 24-25 percent(???), two when I kill this process the context menu immediately goes away and if I select File > New again, the context menu comes right up.

Process Explorer lists this file as an On-Access Scanner service.

So, what do I do now? As I mentioned before, McAfee came pre-loaded on this machine, so its always been there, though this problem hasn't.

Not knowing anything about virus programs, the inner workings I mean, is it possible I inadvertently turned this on, or is this process a mandatory part of McAfee and has always been running and is just recently become a problem child?

Thanks...

#12 syscorpsecure

syscorpsecure

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 02:19 AM

Before you get too deep....

How much free space do you have on your Vista drive?

Vista doesn't play nice when free space goes below 6GB if you have more than one GB or more of memory installed. I had the same problem and cleaning up disk space cured my problem - especially if you have Aero desktop effects enabled.

#13 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:36 AM

syscorpsecure has a good point. Space limitations can cause strange issues.

"mcshield.exe" is the McAfee On-Access Antivirus Scanner from Network Associates, Inc. It monitors your computer's processes, files and registry to attempt to detect and prevent virus infection.

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/mcshield.exe.html

You need it.

Try this tool and see if it helps with space.

Please download TFC by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link
  • Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
  • Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.
  • Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.

#14 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 05:11 PM

How much free space do you have on your Vista drive?

I have 296GB of free space.

Edited by OS_Challenged, 22 November 2009 - 05:11 PM.

#15 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 05:12 PM

syscorpsecure has a good point. Space limitations can cause strange issues.

"mcshield.exe" is the McAfee On-Access Antivirus Scanner from Network Associates, Inc. It monitors your computer's processes, files and registry to attempt to detect and prevent virus infection.

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/mcshield.exe.html

You need it.

Try this tool and see if it helps with space.

Please download TFC by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link
  • Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
  • Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.
  • Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.

Since I have plenty of free space, should I still do this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users