Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WINDOWS 7 upgrade

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 newbie in hawaii

newbie in hawaii

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:56 PM

Custom built system on which I now have Vista Home Premium loaded.'
I bought the Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade and would like to load it into this system.
One of the installed 3 hard drives is making a weird noise on startup, not sure which 1 it is.
I plan to replace all 3 and install a 4th. drive
How do I go about saving all programs and data on the 3 existing drives, change them out, them re-load the previously saved data on to the new drives?
After that is completed I plan to load 7 into the system
I do have access to several sizeable (500 gB) external drives
Can anyone walk me thru an easy procedure for this?

Thanks in advance !
"Ua mau ke ola o ke kai"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Akthalian

Akthalian

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:52 AM

The method depends on your ideal outcome and what you're attempting to preserve. If you just want to backup the media files from all of the drives, then manual drag and drop should suffice, assuming that the drive's contents are not exclusively those file types. If you are interested in the entire contents of each drive, you can either use an image creation program like Norton Ghost that would allow you to copy the contents of those drives exactly and save them to whatever location you like to be restored later.

One final thought, depending on the slots available in your rig you could always connect one of the new sata drives, copy the contents over manually then rinse and repeat for the remaining drives. Manual backup has the benefit of being free, but norton ghost is 70 bucks well spent if you are working with multiple drives and lots of info.
A+ Certified Support Technician

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users