Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

<Windows Root>\system32.hal.dl missing or corrupt

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JohnK2374

JohnK2374

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:05 PM

A few days ago I noticed my computer was running horribly slow, so I ran Malawarebytes Anti-Malware, which came back clean. The slowness continued so I ran CCleaner to clean up the registry. I noticed several registry items that popped up on the delete list that I never saw before...some were Word.ink files and others were Azureus.ink files among others. I assumed it was OK to delete them. After that is when the real problems started.

The system slowed to an absolute crawl. In fact, I had to restart the computer because it seemed frozen. Upon rebooting, my hard drive made an odd noise, then I received the following error message:

Windows could not start becasue the following file is missing or corrupt:

<Windows Root>\stem32.hal.dll

Please re-install a copy of the above file.

Therein lies the problem...I do not have my original Windows disk, and I can't access anything on my desktop. I tried to reboot in recover mode and all I got was a black screen and a blinking curser. Nothing happens when I try to type a command.

I searched the existing topics, and I can't seem to figure out what to do if I have no disk and no ability to download.

Can Someone please help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:30 PM

You can create your own Recovery Console disk with this file:

http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

You must burn this file to a CD as an ISO. Post back if you need more information on how to do this.

Insert the CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: bootcfg /rebuild

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

Info on the bootcfg command: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291980
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 JohnK2374

JohnK2374
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 02:37 PM

OK. I tried that and I get an error message that says:

Error: Failed to successfully scan disks for Windows Installations. This error may be caused by a corrupt file system, which would prevent Bootcfg from successfully scanning. Use chkdsk to detect any errors.

I tried chkdsk /p, with no problem. I also did chkdsk /r but I don't think it did anything. My entire scree filled up with the same line that said something like "Chkdsk is scanning now for errors". But I ran it overnight and still had the same screen when got up this morning.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 03:41 PM

If this was my computer I would wipe the hard drive and reinstall Windows. If you contact you computer's manufacturer you should be able to order the disks. What make is your computer?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 JohnK2374

JohnK2374
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:20 PM

It's a Sony Vaio from like 2003. Could this have happened becasue of a virus? Or possibly from the registry cleaner?

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,088 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:16 PM

This error usually means the boot.ini file is corrupted somehow and rebuilding it may do the trick. The error message is usually misleading - the hal.dll is often not really missing or corrupt.

Rebuilding the boot.ini is a good idea if the problem persists after the integrity of the file system has been verified.

After you boot on your Recovery Console CD, what folder is showing? It should be:

C:\WINDOWS

From the command prompt window run the chkdsk command on the drive where Windows is installed to try to repair any problems on the afflicted drive.

Running chkdsk is fine to run even if it doesn't find any problems.

Assuming your boot drive is C, run the following command:

chkdsk C: /r

Let chkdsk finish and correct any problems it might find. It may take a long time to complete or appear to be 'stuck'. Be patient. If the HDD light is still flashing, it is doing something. Keep an eye on the percentage amount to be sure it is still making progress.

Remove the CD and type 'exit' to leave the RC and restart the computer.

You do not have to adjust the BIOS again to boot on the HDD since the CD will not be present.

Before rebuiling your boot.ini file, read these articles:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291980

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477

Edited by joseibarra, 15 November 2009 - 08:00 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 06:38 PM

Actually, before reinstalling Windows there are some other options you can try:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproble...storehaldll.htm
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproble...wbootsector.htm

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 JohnK2374

JohnK2374
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:35 PM

I disconnected both of my external hard drives and when I ran chkdsk C: /r, I receieved a message that says:

The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable items.

Of course, when I try to run bootcfg after that, it tells me that the operation failed to sucessfully scam disks for Windows installations, etc. etc.

I figured I would just fomat the drive, but I also received a message that says, "The drive cannot be formatted".

At this point, I'm at a loss. Could my hard drive just be fried?

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:43 PM

The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable items.

This can mean the hard-drive is fried. You should try running a hardware diagnostic test. You should be able to download one from the Sony Website.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users