Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stubborn DealHelper

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 05 August 2005 - 10:46 PM

My friend has a program on her computer called "Dealhelper", and apparently it's taking up 2,406mb's worth of space. The file can be seen from the "add/remove programs" menu, but it's not able to be uninstalled. It says "The Uninstallation Log Cannot be found."

I've looked at many sites that say about how to get rid of it, but none of them work. Most sites say to delete some files, unregister some keys, delete some keys from the registry, etc. However, all of these files and keys don't exist on her box. I can't find the folder than contains any of the files related to Dealhelper, and can't even find a folder that has more than 2gb's worth of data....

How can i remove this program? I've been to the developer site but they don't offer an uninstaller...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 unrepper

unrepper

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 05 August 2005 - 11:25 PM

OK your going to think I'm crazy but here goes. You will have to go to Dealhelper.com and download it again. Then remove it using add/remove programs. Check out
this link
Posted Image

#3 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 06 August 2005 - 02:24 PM

Yeah, i had that idea, but it turns out that it's not actually something to download...

We went to the site do download a program or something, but it was more of a "register for the dealhelper program" thing.... There was nothing to download....

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 06 August 2005 - 02:25 PM.

#4 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 07 August 2005 - 11:32 PM

And you haven't had your friend submit a HijackThis log because.......??

No offense Heretic Monkey, but as long as you've been around on this forum I thought you would know what HJT can do for your friend. Dealhelper may actually be gone, but this malware comes in bunches and often sites that tell you how to remove it become outdated--lately as soon as they are written since this stuff becomes more dynamic all the time.

Just as an example:
http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/ILookup.html

ILookup/Hot has been seen to install VistaBar, DealHelper, TVMedia/BHO, Transponder/BTGrab  and TopText.

ILookup exists in many versions, controlled by a tangle of interrelated companies, including IClicks Internet Inc (iclicks.net, accessprovider.com), Crazy Protocol (crazyprotocol.com), Ultra Web Host LLC (ultrawebhost.com), Actif Oiseau Alerte SA (aoasa.com), West Frontier Holdings S.A. (westfrontier.com), Protected Media (protectedmedia.com), Aztec Marketing S.A., Marche Sucre Blanc S.A., InternationalWebMarketing (intwebmarketing.com), Jones Media and Untitled Media Inc.

Or you could just have an invalid entry in the Add/Remove applet. That happens quite often with DealHelper. That can now be remedied with HJT too, or you can edit this registry key.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Uninstall

I'm assuming you know how to deal with the registry? If not be sure to make a backup first and let me know if you need further help.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users