Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

About Javascript

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 vallee45

vallee45

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:29 PM

Hello! My computer runs very slow while playing games. Sometimes to the point of freezing. I ran a scan and everything was fine, except it said that I have a file in my javascript that is damaged. What do I do? Do I uninstall java and then reinstall it?
Thank you in advance...
Vallee45 :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:50 PM

Try going to www.java.com and click on the blue button "Free Java Download". This will take you to another page with the same big blue button. Click on it again. You will get a "file download" box. Click on "Run". This will start the installation of Java on your computer.

When complete, just for good measure, reboot your computer and Java should be installed and working properly.

For what it's worth, Java didn't work very well for me when I first installed Windows 7 either. I know it's working properly now because I use it with Pogo.com.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 vallee45

vallee45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:11 PM

Thanks, I will try that. :huh:

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:54 PM

Maybe we had better verify whether or not you are talking about Javascript, or Java; two completely different things. If it was a Javascript issue, then reinstalling Java will not do a thing. And since the game worked, I am going to have to guess that something else is going on. If you a library is corrupted, the game isn't just going to limp along; it will not work. What was the message exactly? Can you reproduce it?

EDIT: Let me rephrase. If your Java libraries are corrupted, when the application needs it, the application will likely crash if it is corrupted (depending on how error handling is done, and the type of error). With Javascript, the browser may ignore the error. In the second case, there is no library to corrupt because the javascript is being interpreted by the browser.

#5 vallee45

vallee45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:53 PM

:huh: It is the javascript. I suppose this means I will be taking the computer to have it repaired as I don't the faintest idea of what I'm doing. What causes damage to the javascript files?

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:10 AM

Ok, there is no need to take your computer in anywhere. It may be an unnecessary expense. Is it doing this on all online games, or only certain online games? Are you using IE or Firefox?

I'll try to explain this more clearly. Javascript libraries do not reside on your system. When a web page requires javascript, it is either included with the web page, or the web page pulls it from somewhere else. Once all of the javascript gets to your browser, the browser interprets it, and does what the javascript wants it to do. Different browsers interpret javascript in different ways. So in general, if you are getting Javascript errors, it is either because your browser cannot interpret the Javascript, or there is an error with the Javascript. Only one of those has anything to do with you, and it is not something you can fix. Are you understanding me, or do I need to explain better?

#7 vallee45

vallee45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:51 PM

Yes, I think I am understanding you. I am using IE browser. The games that I play are on Facebook. The main ones being, YoVille and FarmVille. Both applications run very slow. YoVille especially. So far, I haven't had problems with any other games on the Internet. So, if I'm not mistaken, you are saying that this is not a technical issue with my computer. This is a browser issue and maybe I should try a different browser while using those applications?

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 03:56 PM

You can try a different browser, but typically the applications on Facebook get a ton of traffic, so it is not unusual for them to be laggy. I pretty much quit playing Mafia Wars because the load time between screens was way too long, and it frequently just crapped out. YoVille and FarmVille are hugely popular, so that would explain the issues that you are seeing.

#9 vallee45

vallee45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:16 PM

Thanks a bunch. I did try another browser, but it's still doing the same thing. So, I'm going back to IE. Hopefully, Facebook will one day fix their application issues. I've been playing YoVille for about about 4 months. I've just started experiencing these lagging/freezing issues just recently.

Thank you for your time.
vallee45

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users