Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

malwarebytes found 2 rootkits!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#1 lindaga35

lindaga35

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:25 PM

Im using xp and here is the log from malwarebytes.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41
Database version: 3143
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

11/11/2009 2:28:38 AM
mbam-log-2009-11-11 (02-28-38).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|E:\|)
Objects scanned: 210506
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 20 minute(s), 31 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 2

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$\atapi.sys (Rootkit) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\16b2c96a0c41f4dfdb4d3cc228a4f819\atapi.sys (Rootkit) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

This is the report that malwarebytes had.

when i tried to put the computer into safe mode, It took 4 times for it to work. any thoughts????

i also posted another topic in the ie8 forum but i found a way to fix that one. but, I used microsofts "fix it" and i updated a couple of things also.

is this where i got the rootkits?????

thanks so much,

Linda

Edited by lindaga35, 11 November 2009 - 06:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:21 PM

Hi Linda. i am certain you didn't get the Rootkits at MSFT,

Let's run a few tools and see what else may be here.

We Need to check for Rootkits with RootRepeal
  • Download RootRepeal from the following location and save it to your desktop.
  • Extract RootRepeal.exe from the archive (If you did not use the "Direct Download" mirror).
  • Open Posted Image on your desktop.
  • Click the Posted Image tab.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Check all seven boxes: Posted Image
  • Push Ok
  • Check the box for your main system drive (Usually C:), and press Ok.
  • Allow RootRepeal to run a scan of your system. This may take some time.
  • Once the scan completes, push the Posted Image button. Save the log to your desktop, using a distinctive name, such as RootRepeal.txt. Include this report in your next reply, please.

Next run ATF and SAS:
Note.. SAS doesn't open the registry hives for other user accounts on the system, so scans should be done from each user account.

Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

From your regular user account..
Download Attribune's ATF Cleaner and then SUPERAntiSpyware , Free Home Version. Save both to desktop ..
DO NOT run yet.
Open SUPER from icon and install and Update it
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining
Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program. DO NOT run yet.

Now reboot into Safe Mode: How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox or Opera browser click that browser at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program

NOW Scan with SUPER
Open from the desktop icon or the program Files list
On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
Perform a Complete scan. After scan,Verify they are all checked.
Click OK on the summary screen to quarantine all found items.
If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.

To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log.
A text file will open in your default text editor.
Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
Click Close to exit the program.

Reboot normally and Rerun MBAM (MalwareBytes) like this:

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan (normal mode).
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.

Please ask any needed questions,post 3 logs and Let us know how the PC is running now.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 lindaga35

lindaga35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:07 PM

ive tried to download the RootRepeal but its not giving me the option to save it to my desktop. i just ran it and it said it couldnt load the driver. code(oxc0000035)

what do i do next? im waiting for your reply.

thanks,
Linda

Edited by lindaga35, 12 November 2009 - 09:17 PM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:21 PM

Will SUPER run?
If not run this first
Please download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your desktop.Link 2
Link 3
Link 4
  • Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
  • If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
  • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.

Also try Rootepeal again after RKill.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 lindaga35

lindaga35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:15 AM

i got super to run, but it wont give me the logs. if im remembering right there was 2 adware. i will down load the rkill next and try that.

when im downloading these my download box shows up(as normal) but its not scanning for a virus Before it downloads.

here is my last malwarebytes log.
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41
Database version: 3159
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

11/13/2009 12:14:14 AM
mbam-log-2009-11-13 (00-14-14).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 124319
Time elapsed: 10 minute(s), 8 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

i will post the rkill next

#6 lindaga35

lindaga35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:28 AM

avira antivir says that is a Hiddenext/crypted file and blocked access. what now?

Virus or unwanted program 'HIDDENEXT/Crypted [heuristic]'
detected in file 'C:\Documents and Settings\DAN\My Documents\Downloads\rkill.pif.
Action performed: Move file to quarantine

Edited by lindaga35, 13 November 2009 - 12:33 AM.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:30 AM

Hi, Let me veify this for you.. i believe it is just Avira doing it's job. Detecting an intrusive tool. As it doesn't know it was written by the good guys. It gives it the shank.

How are you running now,it looks good?

#8 lindaga35

lindaga35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 06:15 PM

it didnt start up normal, it took a lot longer this time. im not going to do anything else till i hear from you.

shockwave updater is up in my toolbar and i cant open it at all. i deleted the whole thing and start again with a clean install?

this is what super found the last time, adware.coupon bar c\windows\system32\cpnprt2.cid

thanks,
Linda

Edited by lindaga35, 14 November 2009 - 06:28 AM.

#9 lindaga35

lindaga35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 04:50 PM

what should i do know? just wanted to let you know im still having problems.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 05:00 PM

Hi, I have been trying to find something. I have 2 choices run DRWeb next and then if no joy we will go to HiJackThis,
Before we start fixing anything you should print out these instructions or copy them to a NotePad file so they will be accessible. Some steps will require you to disconnect from the Internet or use Safe Mode and you will not have access to this page.

Please download Dr.Web CureIt and save it to your desktop. DO NOT perform a scan yet.
alternate download link
Note: The file will be randomly named (i.e. 5mkuvc4z.exe).

Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with Dr.Web CureIt as follows:
  • Double-click on the randomly named file to open the program and click Start. (There is no need to update if you just downloaded the most current version
  • Read the Virus check by DrWeb scanner prompt and click Ok where asked to Start scan now? Allow the setup.exe to load if asked by any of your security programs.
  • The Express scan will automatically begin.
    (This is a short scan of files currently running in memory, boot sectors, and targeted folders).
  • If prompted to dowload the Full version Free Trial, ignore and click the X to close the window.
  • If an infected object is found, you will be prompted to move anything that cannot be cured. Click Yes to All. (This will move any detected files to the C:\Documents and Settings\userprofile\DoctorWeb\Quarantine folder if they can't be cured)
  • After the Express Scan is finished, put a check next to Complete scan to scan all local disks and removable media.
  • In the top menu, click Settings > Change settings, and uncheck "Heuristic analysis" under the "Scanning" tab, then click Apply, Ok.
  • Back at the main window, click the green arrow "Start Scanning" button on the right under the Dr.Web logo.
  • Please be patient as this scan could take a long time to complete.
  • When the scan has finished, a message will be displayed at the bottom indicating if any viruses were found.
  • Click Select All, then choose Cure > Move incurable.
  • In the top menu, click file and choose save report list.
  • Save the DrWeb.csv report to your desktop.
  • Exit Dr.Web Cureit when done.
  • Important! Reboot your computer because it could be possible that files in use will be moved/deleted during reboot.
  • After reboot, post the contents of the log from Dr.Web in your next reply. (You can use Notepad to open the DrWeb.cvs report)

#11 lindaga35

lindaga35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 06:34 AM

I got dr web to work, but it would only work in regulaur mode NOT safe mode. here is the scan results.

One scan:

CouponPrinter.exe\data013;C:\Documents and Settings\DAN\My Documents\Downloads\CouponPrinter.exe;Adware.Coupons.34;;
CouponPrinter.exe\data015;C:\Documents and Settings\DAN\My Documents\Downloads\CouponPrinter.exe;Adware.Coupons.34;;
CouponPrinter.exe\data016;C:\Documents and Settings\DAN\My Documents\Downloads\CouponPrinter.exe;Adware.Coupons.34;;
CouponPrinter.exe;C:\Documents and Settings\DAN\My Documents\Downloads;Container contains infected objects;Moved.; CouponPrinter.exe\data012;C:\Documents and Settings\DAN\My Documents\Downloads\CouponPrinter.exe;Adware.Coupons.34;;

then i ran a 2nd one:

acsd.exe;C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS;Probably DLOADER.Trojan;;
acssetup.exe\data386;C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\acssetup.exe;Probably DLOADER.Trojan;;
acssetup.exe;C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS;Archive contains infected objects;Moved.;
comp01.000/data015\data386;C:\Program Files\Common Files\aolback\comp01.000/data015;Probably DLOADER.Trojan;;
data015;C:\Program Files\Common Files\aolback;Archive contains infected objects;;
comp01.000;C:\Program Files\Common Files\aolback;Archive contains infected objects;Moved.;
InstallHelper.exe;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Motive;Probably MULDROP.Trojan;;
npCouponPrinter.dll;C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins;Adware.Coupons.34;;
EarthLink Setup.msi/stream001\uninstll.exe;C:\Program Files\Online Services\MSN80\EarthLink Setup.exe/Windows\access\EarthLink Setup.msi/stream001;Probably STPAGE.Trojan;;
stream001;C:\Program Files\Online Services\MSN80\EarthLink Setup.exe/Windows\access;Archive contains infected objects;;
\Windows\access\EarthLink Setup.msi;C:\Program Files\Online Services\MSN80\EarthLink Setup.exe/Windows\access;Archive contains infected objects;;
EarthLink Setup.exe;C:\Program Files\Online Services\MSN80;Archive contains infected objects;Moved.;
A0036861.exe\data386;C:\System Volume Information\_restore{970BF179-4538-46F7-A171-F13CFC09440B}\RP143\A0036861.exe;Probably DLOADER.Trojan;;
A0036861.exe;C:\System Volume Information\_restore{970BF179-4538-46F7-A171-F13CFC09440B}\RP143;Archive contains infected objects;Moved.;
EarthLink Setup.msi/stream001\uninstll.exe;C:\System Volume Information\_restore{970BF179-4538-46F7-A171-F13CFC09440B}\RP143\A0036863.exe/Windows\access\EarthLink Setup.m;Probably STPAGE.Trojan;;
stream001;C:\System Volume Information\_restore{970BF179-4538-46F7-A171-F13CFC09440B}\RP143\A0036863.exe/Windows\access;Archive contains infected objects;;
\Windows\access\EarthLink Setup.msi;C:\System Volume Information\_restore{970BF179-4538-46F7-A171-F13CFC09440B}\RP143\A0036863.exe/Windows\access;Archive contains infected objects;;
A0036863.exe;C:\System Volume Information\_restore{970BF179-4538-46F7-A171-F13CFC09440B}\RP143;Archive contains infected objects;Moved.;
CouponPrinter.ocx;C:\WINDOWS;Adware.Coupons.34;;

that is a lot of stuff, i rebooted.

thanks

#12 lindaga35

lindaga35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 03:46 PM

should i be going to facebook or myspace or other websites when i had this much crap on my computer? im going to change my passwords again.

I shocked there was this much on here and malwarebytes or avira didnt catch it.

Linda

#13 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 06:25 PM

Hi, do you still or maybe you never did ,use Coupons Inc or an other coupon service. Do you still use AOL in some form?

These infections were in it's pring software. They may have exploited their software. So if you had it installed you unwittingly allowed it thinking you were doing something else.

Are the last issues gone now?

EDIT: Probably not so much going to those as what you do from there.

Edited by boopme, 15 November 2009 - 08:39 PM.

#14 lindaga35

lindaga35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 10:43 PM

A0036868.exe;C:\System Volume Information\_restore{970BF179-4538-46F7-A171-F13CFC09440B}\RP143;Probably DLOADER.Trojan;Incurable.Moved.;
A0036869.exe;C:\System Volume Information\_restore{970BF179-4538-46F7-A171-F13CFC09440B}\RP143;Probably MULDROP.Trojan;Incurable.Moved.;
A0036870.dll;C:\System Volume Information\_restore{970BF179-4538-46F7-A171-F13CFC09440B}\RP143;Adware.Coupons.34;Incurable.Moved.;
A0036871.ocx;C:\System Volume Information\_restore{970BF179-4538-46F7-A171-F13CFC09440B}\RP143;Adware.Coupons.34;Incurable.Moved.;

why is dr web still finding stuff? what should i do now? im really dont understand this at all. i rebooted after each one.

as to AOL i dont use that at all. i use yahoo.

i did use coupon's but i thought i had deleted it.

im confussed as to facebook, im sorry. i spent a lot of time there talking to my family. should i try root apeal again?

thanks for all of your help,
Linda

Edited by lindaga35, 15 November 2009 - 10:46 PM.

#15 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 11:05 PM

EDIT do the Uninstalling First sorry,

Ok, It's looking better. First some people download apps and thing that people post up. Just talking to mom from your wall or chat are fine.

These files are in System restore I like to leave this till last but lets get rid of them so you can be free of it. The printing sofware was infected by the malware.
You should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been backed up, renamed and saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok". Disk Cleanup will scan your files for several minutes, then open.
  • Click the "More Options" tab, then click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.
  • Click Ok. You will be prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?"
  • Click Yes, then click Ok.
  • Click Yes again when prompted with "Are you sure you want to perform these actions?"
  • Disk Cleanup will remove the files and close automatically.
I would recommend un and reinstalling the Coupon program from Control Panel as it is corrupted and exploited. You will have to redownload the program from their site.

Uninstall the AOL software

Edited by boopme, 15 November 2009 - 11:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users