Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compuer Restarts itself shortly after loading up...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 The_hodge

The_hodge

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:24 PM

Hi guys,

My girlfriends parents have a problem with thier PC. Each time they load up the computer, it restarts itself. This happens just after it has finished loading up all the icons on the desktop. You can still run the PC fine in safe mode though.

As far as they're aware they weren't doing anything strange when the problem started though they did get a few virus message warnings a while back. Could a virus be a cause? What should be the first thing you do when you have a problem like this? How do you begin to discover what's causing the problem? Is it likely to be hardware related?

I ran a 'hijack this' log file from the computer in safe mode (see below), but I guess it probably isn't much use as the problem doesn't happen in safe mode.

Thanks for any help at all,

David.

EDIT: Log removed

Edited by garmanma, 11 November 2009 - 10:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:26 PM

The first thing I would do...is edit the initial post to remove the HJT log.

The second...since the system boots into safe mode...disable the auto restart option so that you can get a look at the error message which accompanies these types of situations.

How To Disable Automatic Restarts When Windows Crashes - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/74644/how-to-disable-automatic-restarts-when-windows-crashes/

Louis

#3 LeDrew

LeDrew

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:27 PM

Do they have MBAM?
If not download it in safe mode with networking is possible or put it on a flash drive.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Run a quick scan (update if you can access safe mode with networking) and remove everything it finds and then restart. See if that solves your problem. If not. Return to safe mode and run a full scan. Remove everything it finds and restart.

I will assume that they have a Desktop and not a laptop.
Is their CMOS battery(3v lithium) dead? Have they been complaining about the clock running slow?
You may need to replace it.

#4 The_hodge

The_hodge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:03 AM

Hi everyone,

It's the girlfriend here - my parents are the ones with the unwell computer.

Hamluis - thanks for the info on switching off the auto restarts. I followed your instructions and unchecked the auto restart box but as I clicked 'okay' an error message came up. It said that I was unable to complete the command without first changing the 'Alerter' status and gave me instructions on how to do so. Unfortunately I cannot change the Alerter status because the PC is running in safe mode....!!! Something of a vicious cycle. Do you have any ideas?

LeDrew - The clock is working fine so not sure whether it would be the CMOS battery. We don't have MBAM (which I just learnt by googling it is anti-malware, not the Master Builders Association Malaysia) but I did run an AVG scan in safe mode. It didn't seem to make too much difference though and still restarts automatically.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated! Thank you for your time :thumbsup:

Best wishes,

Helen

#5 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:48 AM

Just been reading up for you, do you have the XP cd ?
If so boot in safe mode > start > run> type in cmd
when cmd opens type in sfc /scannow ( space between sfc and / )
then press enter this will run a system file check but may or may not prompt you for the cd !

Failing that have you tried " Last known good configuration " !

Good Luck ! :thumbsup:

Edited by doinmeedin, 12 November 2009 - 10:50 AM.

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:13 AM

OK, thanks :thumbsup:.

You can do a search of your C: partition...to see if any .dmp files have been generated from the STOP error (which is causing the auto rebooting).

If there are, these will contain all data that the BSOD would reflect onscreen.

There is a procedure for dealing with these .dmp files, Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

Louis

#7 The_hodge

The_hodge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 05:24 AM

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the advice.

Unfortunately I was outvoted on the family 'how to try and fix the PC' debate (having tried the system scan and last known good config) and the recovery discs were loaded up. As a result the computer has been wiped and the darn thing will not switch on even in safe mode!

Looks like it's the end of the road for it. Good excuse for a new one though :thumbsup:

Thanks again,
Helen

#8 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:33 AM

I'll take the old one :thumbsup:

sfc /scannow will not run in Safe Mode anyway.

If you try it, you will get the following messages:

Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files.
The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC server is unavailable.].

You cannot start the RPC Server in Safe Mode either.

You could however run sfc /scanonce in Safe Mode to queue up a /scannow on the next reboot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747/en

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users