Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start, Run, Prefetch, hilite, delete? ok to do?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 help!

help!

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 05 August 2005 - 10:11 PM

Hi,
I read in a computer e-mail I receive, that if you go to start, run and type in prefetch and up comes a long list of items, that it's ok to hilite and delete all......is that true?

thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 05 August 2005 - 10:22 PM

Well the prefetch is just information stored on hand so that appliations can be accessed faster.

Sometimes clearning that can give you a boost because sometimes you install/uninstall programs and theyre info still stays in the prefetch.

I reccomend doing what youve said above probably once every 1-2 months.

#3 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 05 August 2005 - 10:41 PM

Yes it is Ok to delete these items. The actual folder in question is located here: C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch.

This is one of those issues that tends to generate some controversy. The prefetch files, like the name implies, are a list of files that windows will use to open each program you use. It "prefetch's" them so that it has an index of files it has to access the next time you open the program. This speeds up the programs opening time.

The controversy comes from the fact some people believe that cleaning these files periodically is a good thing and actually helps speed up your computer by removing unused files. While others insist that there is no reason to delete them at all, that windows itself will maintain the prefetch files by cleaning out the old unused files after some time.

From a personal stand point, I see no problem with cleaning them out once in a while (I clean mine about once a month and after installing or removing a program). Your next reboot or two will be a little slower as Windows recreates the files it needs, but I have noticed a tendency for Windows to maintain files long after I removed a program and no longer have a need for it. Once I even had a program that would not start correctly and after cleaning the prefetch files, it worked normally again.

Cleaning them out is purely your own choice, Windows will recreate the ones you need the next time your run a program.

Edited by Ronbo, 05 August 2005 - 10:42 PM.

There is no justice, there is just us.

#4 help!

help!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 06 August 2005 - 12:50 PM

thank you very much! I really appreciate the advice, and I will go do it now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users