Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Refusing to boot - STOP 0x0000007E

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 fearphobia

fearphobia

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:07 PM

I get the following error code on boot up: STOP 0X0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x80535D23, 0xF79F367C, 0xf79F3378.)

Is there anything I can do on Microsoft recovery console to enable it to boot again?

If necessary I will give a list of all files (Dir) so you can identify any malware files that are causing the problem can be deleted.

Edited by fearphobia, 11 November 2009 - 01:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:13 PM

You can try a few things, nothing is guaranteed.

The Recovery Console (nor any other tool that I know of) was developed to overcome the boot loop that so many seem to find themselves in.

I would try the chkdsk /r command from the RC first...then I would try the fixmbr command. If you have a Genuine XP install CD, I would just suggest doing a repair install of XP.

Can you boot into safe mode?

System manufacturer and model?

You might as well take a look at http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm, see 7E in the left column...just to get an idea of the complexity you are facing.

Louis

#3 fearphobia

fearphobia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:52 PM

You can try a few things, nothing is guaranteed.

The Recovery Console (nor any other tool that I know of) was developed to overcome the boot loop that so many seem to find themselves in.

I would try the chkdsk /r command from the RC first...then I would try the fixmbr command. If you have a Genuine XP install CD, I would just suggest doing a repair install of XP.

Can you boot into safe mode?

System manufacturer and model?

You might as well take a look at http://www.aumha.org/a/stop.htm, see 7E in the left column...just to get an idea of the complexity you are facing.

Louis

1. chdsk / r and it scanned with the result of "1 or more errors."

2. fixmbr "appears to have a non-standard or invalid master boot record, could cause all partitions on current hard drive to become inaccessible." I typed yes,

3. Can't boot into safe mode, stops at a system32 file called "giveio.sys" and reboots.

My PC is custom made so there is no system manufacturer or model.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:38 PM

Take a look at what users think about this file, http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/giveio.sys.html.

Looks to me like it's a driver for an unknown program, which I always view as undesireable.

Worth reading, http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/winnt-base...m-restarts.html.

7E STOP errors are often driver-related, it appears that this file in question is a driver for something installed on your system. Whatever it is, I suggest that, if it's a legitimate program...it's damaged and needs to be uninstalled/reinstalled. If it's not a legitimate program, then it's malware.

I suppose that I would try deleting it from the Recovery Console, using the delete command, http://pcsupport.about.com/od/termsd/p/delete-del.htm. I would be assuming that it's a legit, damaged file installed by something on your system.

Louis

#5 fearphobia

fearphobia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:58 PM

I deleted giveio.sys, I think it was fom speed fan, as I have installed that recently.

In safe mode it gets stuck on C:\windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys and reboots.

However, this seems to be a legitamate windows file. http://www.file.net/process/mup.sys.html

Too risky to delete?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:19 PM

Well...I might assume that the file is damaged...and replace it with the same file from the System32/dllcache folder (by copying the file, renaming the old and inserting the copy in the System32 folder.

It's a valid Windows file :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 fearphobia

fearphobia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 03:07 AM

I've copied and renamed the system32/drivers/mop.sys file, how do I insert the copy?

Edited by fearphobia, 12 November 2009 - 03:08 AM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:28 AM

I was unclear...you need to copy the mup.sys file which is in the dllcache folder...and place the copy in the System32 folder :thumbsup:.

Hopefully, that will eliminate the problem.

Louis

#9 fearphobia

fearphobia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:56 AM

I copied it from C:\windows\system32\dllcache\mup.sys to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mup.sys after renaming the old "driver mup.sys.

A succesfull copy was confirmed "1 file(s) copied", but it still stops at that file on safe mode.

#10 fearphobia

fearphobia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:04 AM

Double post, sorry.

Edited by fearphobia, 12 November 2009 - 11:08 AM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:20 AM

You might review some of the sites at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sou...s+a&aqi=g10

The mup.sys file is well-known for causing problems with attempted XP installs...but I don't recall seeing it mentioned previously in conjunction with accessing safe mode.

Louis

#12 fearphobia

fearphobia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:43 AM

All of those solutions require the XP disc, so it looks like I've hit a dead end for now as I don't have it. Is there a way I can copy the mup.sys file from another computer, providing it had the same configuration?

Edited by fearphobia, 12 November 2009 - 12:09 PM.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:00 PM

Any file can be routinely copied.

But...if the one in System32 (which is the active one) were corrupt/damaged...then the replacement from the dllcache folder should have been a capable replacement, IMO.

Getting it from a different system...seems unlikely to produce a useful result...unless you think several system files are damaged, in which case a repair install or sfc /scannow command would be a better approach, IMO.

I've said this before...any XP user who doesn't have the capability for reinstalling from CD...is in serious trouble (eventually) unless they have maintained useful backups or clones of the system partition.

I've used XP for 8 years now and I would have been lost a long time ago...without a valid license and CD.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users