Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sality

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 bhoffice3

bhoffice3

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:46 AM

Long story, short version:
I have an HP Pavillion, a305 which belongs to my sister-in-law.
When ever she came upon a virus (a million or so times) she would do a complete system recovery using her supplied 10 each CD's.
She so happened to be infected this last time with a "sality" virus to which prevented any kind of help from an outside source.
As she did not keep even the freeware virus programs previously installed she has fallen victim once again. However, when she tried to do a full system restore using her disks, recovery failed do to defective (physically damaged) disks. Loads up to disk 9 at which point the screen displays "cannot load C:\i386\drv\app28145\app28145.exe". I took a look at the puter and, at startup it gives the error "NTLDR is missing.
I tried using F8 to gain safe mode operation but, since the os is not installed...
Called HP but they do not retain disks for more than 5 yrs. This one is soon to be 7 yrs olod.
Question: what do we do to get her back up and running.
I have not worked in puters for more than 15 yrs now so I behind on the ways of the savy puter geeks (no foul intended).
Thanks ahead for any help.
XP, home edition, sp2

Edited by bhoffice3, 11 November 2009 - 11:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users