Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't keep BSOD showing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Volkardus

Volkardus

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:46 AM

Hi everyone... Hope you can help.

I have a Compaq Presario here that is in a continuous restart loop. I very briefly see a BSOD and then it restarts. I know how to turn off the option to "restart after system crashes", and if I could get into Windows, I'd turn if off... but I can't. I've selected all the options in the Windows Startup Menu, (Safe Mode, W/Networking, Last Known Good, etc.), and it does the same thing. There is no option on this particular computer in the Startup Menu to keep Windows from restarting after a system crash.

Any ideas how I can get this particular machine to keep the BSOD visible so I can read what it says? Thanx.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:21 PM

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Volkardus

Volkardus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 02:28 PM

Thanx Budapest...

I guess I didn't finish explaining myself better... here's what's going on:

Windows tries to boot, and I am seeing the Windows Logo come up
BSOD for a split second
Getting the Startup menu each time
No option to turn off Automatic Restart in this Startup menu (I've seen machine with this option available - but not this one)
Have tried each option in the Startup menu - Same result - Can not get into Windows at all
When I get into the Recovery Console, the only install of Windows it seems to find is one the Windows XP Disk (F:\MiniNT or something like that)

I know the hard drive is somewhat working, it's starting to boot into Windows.

What I'm hoping, is to keep the BSOD windows up long enough to get a STOP code to see what's going on.

Volkardus

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:14 PM

You could try a repair install. It won't let you see the BSOD, but it might let you get back into Windows.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:06 PM

When you start tapping F8 after a reboot do you not get a screen with an option:

Disable automatic restart on system failure

You need to be working that F8 key way before you see any Windows screen. If you see a Windows screen, you missed the F8 window of opportunity - try again.

It sounds like you get some choices, so what choices do you see?

Do you have a bootable XP installation CD? (not the same as a manufacturers system recovery CD)

How are you booting into Recovery Console?

The MININT folder (I think) is a recovery partition on Dell computers. Do you have a Dell computer? Inspirion perhaps? What mode?

Do you think your Windows XP is installed on the C drive?

From the F:\MININT prompt can you enter:

c: <enter>

And end up on the C drive?

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 Volkardus

Volkardus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:25 PM

Thanks everyone... I'm gonna call this incident closed. I called the owner and we agreed to do a clean install after moving his HD to a working machine and making backups. I would have liked to see what the BSOD said, just to get a better idea of what we're working with. Thanx for your input.

[joseibarra]

I'll be putting this one on the bench after finishing up 2 or three that got in front of it. I can't remember right off if I manually entered the Startup menu or let it come up each time it restarted... but I'll be sure to try your suggestion.

This system is a Compaq and I'm using an OEM XP Pro Disk to get into Recovery Console, (with the "R" option at first prompt after booting from XP CD). Yes, I'm sure XP is installed on C: I ran FDSIK from my custom boot CD and verified that, 1. The drive was accessible and 2. the partition was indeed c: I will try c: <enter> to see if can mount onto the C drive.

Thanks again everyone.
Volkardus

#7 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 14 November 2009 - 06:42 AM

Good.

I need to get me a sto' bought PC and do some more practicing on those boot options.

Oh wait, my wife has a couple laptops and she is sleeping right now :thumbsup:

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users