Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reloading OP system, system recovery

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bhoffice3

bhoffice3

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:44 AM

Long story, short version:
I have an HP Pavillion, a305 which belongs to my sister-in-law.
When ever she came upon a virus (a million or so times) she would do a complete system recovery using her supplied 10 each CD's.
She so happened to be infected this last time with a "sality" virus to which prevented any kind of help from an outside source.
As she did not keep even the freeware virus programs previously installed she has fallen victim once again. However, when she tried to do a full system restore using her disks, recovery failed do to defective (physically damaged) disks. Loads up to disk 9 at which point the screen displays "cannot load C:\i386\drv\app28145\app28145.exe". I took a look at the puter and, at startup it gives the error "NTLDR is missing.
I tried using F8 to gain safe mode operation but, since the os is not installed...
Called HP but they do not retain disks for more than 5 yrs. This one is soon to be 7 yrs olod.
Question: what do we do to get her back up and running.
I have not worked in puters for more than 15 yrs now so I behind on the ways of the savy puter geeks (no foul intended).
Thanks ahead for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:04 PM

Buy or borrow...an XP install CD...delete everything, do a clean install of XP...and never have to look back.

http://software.pricegrabber.com/windows-o...e_us_broad/rd=1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...soft-_-32116774. Note that the Family Pack version of this O/S averages out to a cost of $56 per license (can install on 3 systems)

http://www.pricewatch.com/browse/software_...xp_media_center

Actually, at this date...I don't suggest to anyone to install XP as an O/S, it has had its day.

If installing a new O/S today, I install Windows 7 Home Premium (which I think many current XP-users need to take a look at).

For those in love with XP, it has been a reliable, known O/S...but time moves on and time improves some things. I think Windows be one of those things.

I almost forgot...there are retailers (not system manufacturers) selling HP, Dell, etc. recovery/restore disks these days. Example: http://www.stootsi.com/store/cat.aspx?cat=12350&pg=1

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 11 November 2009 - 02:39 PM.

#3 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:12 PM

Clean the cd carefully with warm soapy water and air dry it. If you have a lot of minerals in your tap water you can rinse with distilled water or just dry it with a good grade of paper towel by blotting rather than wiping. Try the reload again. If it is scratched, I have had good luck with using isobuster to rip the data off and burn it to another cd.

I had an oem recovery fail this week and cleaning the dvd fixed all errors. If she reloaded as many times as you say, chances are there might be some fingerprints on the active side of the disks.

Also the A305 shipped with a bare minimum memory. If you max the ram at 1g you might be able to run win7 on it. HP created this model for a 2003 walmart holiday special.

In theory you could upgrade the processor if you could still buy socket 478 processors... but the 2.7 celeron should work ok.

I have ordered hp recovery disk for older laptops than this desktop, so I guess they don't keep specific desktops cd's as long.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users