Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Happy Veteran's Day

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:13 AM

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of the Veterans for the work they do to protect our liberty. Thank you for the sacrifices you have made for the good of everyone.

Please take a few moments today to remember and realize how fortunate we are to have our freedom and the blood, sweat and tears it takes to protect it.

Posted Image

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,546 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:40 PM

As a veteran I thank you for your kind words. I wish our service members everywhere thanks and gratitude as well and a safe return home to their loved ones.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:58 PM

A very safe return home and soon!!
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:28 PM

God Bless Ya Veteran's :thumbsup:

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. – Will Smith

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:29 PM

Thanks Pandy and all the rest of the brothers and sisters. I went to see the new vessel today. USS New York LPD 21

http://www.ussnewyork.com/wordpress/uss-ne...-image-gallery/

Pray for peace and pass the ammo.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:56 PM

From the son of a vet....

I say Thank You to the veterans and the servicemen whom are doing their duty as I write this. Your work allows us to enjoy the country we live in and the freedoms it affords us. Without the sacrifices of both veterans and active servicemen, I could not be doing this now.

Thank You.

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#7 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 01:03 AM

:thumbsup:

I too pass on my Best Wishes to all the Veterans, not only in America, but throughout the World.

Veteran's Day is also Celebrated throughout the World under different names, but each Country has the same meaning. We Honour our Dead and Maimed for their Sacrifices, even though we some times have been Enemies, during the Years, before and since, this momentious occurence on the 11th Day of the 11th Month in 1918.

1918 : World War I ends
At the 11th hour on the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918, the Great War ends. At 5 a.m. that morning, Germany, bereft of manpower and supplies and faced with imminent invasion, signed an armistice agreement with the Allies in a railroad car outside Compiégne, France. The First World War left nine million soldiers dead and 21 million wounded, with Germany, Russia, Austria-Hungary, France, and Great Britain each losing nearly a million or more lives. In addition, at least five million civilians died from disease, starvation, or exposure.

http://www.history.co.uk/this-day-in-histo...6AD13F5.public1

More here,

THE HISTORY OF VETERANS DAY

World War I, then normally referred to simply as The Great War (no one could imagine any war being greater!), ended with the implementation of an armistice [temporary cessation of hostilities?in this case until the final peace treaty, the infamous Treaty of Versailles, was signed in 1919] between the Allies and Germany at the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of November, 1918.

November 11: President Wilson proclaims the first Armistice Day with the following words: "To us in America, the reflections of armistice Day will be filled with solemn pride in the heroism of those who died in the country?s service and with gratitude for the victory, both because of the thing from which it has freed us and because of the opportunity it has given America to show her sympathy with peace and justice in the councils of the nations?" The original concept for the celebration was for the suspension of business for a two minute period beginning at 11 A.M., with the day also marked by parades and public mettings.

http://www.history.army.mil/faq/vetsday/vetshist.htm

No Matter from what Country you come from, Let us Remember Them ALL and Pray that we may have Peace on the Earth.

EDIT. You may like the Picture and Story that I Posted here under Post 89, it is unusual, but it just goes to show the Power of Prayer and the Training that our Soldiers get in survival.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...ml#entry1496410

:flowers:

Edited by Abacus 7, 12 November 2009 - 01:54 AM.

#8 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:02 AM

From a son of a Navy veteran:

I thank you for the sacrifices you guys make to protect our country and to help those in need.

And in the words of a Marine: Semper Fi.

(Don't ask. I'm not military.....I just always wanted to say that :D)

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#9 rangecoach

rangecoach

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:28 PM

Out of the 200+ people that I work with, only one came up and thanked me for my service...and he's Canadian! Thank you to all the members of this community that recognize the sacrifices that our active duty military, as well as the veterans, have and do endure.

Semper Fi.
The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.

You are never defeated until you admit it. Gen. Patton

#10 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:44 PM

In Australia, we say, "Lest we Forget".

Can I say both to you as a Vet?

"Semper Fi" and "Lest we Forget"

Love to have a Beer with you, Mate.

It is really a Special Day that is being forgotten by many all around the World.

#11 rangecoach

rangecoach

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 13 November 2009 - 11:56 PM

Lest we forget.......I'm afraid that the majortiy of the young free world inhabitants have.

November 10th and 11th are both special days for me. On November 10, 1775, the Marine Corps was "born" in Tun Tavern (how fitting) in Philadelphia. As you know, November 11 is Veterans Day....48 hours of drunken celebration and remembrance.

"WE STOLE THE EAGLE FROM THE AIR FORCE, THE ANCHOR FROM THE NAVY AND THE ROPE FROM THE ARMY.

ON THE SEVENTH DAY WHILE GOD RESTED, WE OVERRAN HIS PERIMETER, STOLE THE GLOBE AND WE'VE BEEN RUNNING THE WHOLE SHOW EVER SINCE."

Edited by rangecoach, 13 November 2009 - 11:57 PM.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.

You are never defeated until you admit it. Gen. Patton

#12 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 01:07 AM

Aw, Mate, I cracked a Beer on that one.

I would get into terrible Trouble if I said what the Aussies have done?

Just wonderful to share a Beer with you, Mate.

Did you ever Serve in an area with Aussies?

We are a bit unusual, but great Mates.

:flowers:

Edited by Abacus 7, 14 November 2009 - 01:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users