Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet keeps on disconnecting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nixx

nixx

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:08 AM

Hi!

I'm not sure whether to put this here or in the external hardware forum but here it goes. My internet connection keeps on disconnecting. I don't really know what's wrong with it. The computer I'm using connects to the internet via a router/modem from another pc. The world/globe/earth on the network icon on my computer keeps on disappearing but the network icon is still there stating that I can still access local but not the internet. When I try and turn off the router and the modem that's connected to the other pc and turn it back on again, the internet connection goes back.

Can anyone tell me if the modem I'm using is busted?

Thanks, thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:44 AM

Does the other PC lose internet as well?

Just curious, why aren't you connected to the router/modem?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 nixx

nixx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:57 AM

oh im not sure. we dont really turn the other pc on :|

#4 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 17 November 2009 - 01:14 PM

Could you tell us what OS the PC is using and what type of router/modem/gateway you have?

If you have a separate router and modem, it's easiest to connect a single PC directly to the modem with an ethernet cable.

Then, open the command prompt (Start>run>cmd) and type: ping -n 100 www.google.com

Press Enter on the KB to run the command.

The summary at the bottom of the black window will tell you how many packets were sent and received, I'd like to know this.

On Linux it looks like this:
100 packets transmitted, 100 received, 0% packet loss, time 99098ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 17.415/20.831/32.460/3.244 ms

Windows will give much the same output.

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:40 PM

I am baffled as to how your network is connected. Could you shed a little light on that please? What equipment, names, models and OS on the PC(s), are involved? How are they connected together, starting with the internet coming from the wall?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users