Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get into Windows Safe Mode, get a blue screen & have Windows System Defender trojan

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tstone703

tstone703

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:25 AM

Hi. This is my first post and hopefully placed into the correct sub-forum. I am running Windows XP.

First and foremost, I have become infected with the Windows System Defender trojan. I have downloaded Malwarebyte Anti-Malware to help clear it off and have also tried to remove it manually. When trying to remove manually the trojan would not let me CTRL-ALT-DEL to kill the processes/.dll's. Also, any time I tried to run Malwarebyte Anti-Malware, either from my desktop or off a thumb drive, it would close the program. I was able to kill to Locate and delete Windows System Defender registry entries. I was not able to search and unregister Windows System Defender DLL libraries. So in that sense I half assed removed/stop the trojan, but its still there.

At a loss since I couldn't get Malwarebyte Anti-Malware to run OR able to fully and completely remove the trojan manually since I was unable to get into the Task Manager to remove the .dll's associated with the trojan, I re-started my computer, went back into Windows, and went to re-start it in Safe Mode thinking I could run Malwarebyte Anti-Malware in safe mode to solve my problem. However this has now lead to a more seriously problem and I get this constant blue screen:

Posted Image

I can't even get back into the login screen because I get this blue screen now. I am able to access the F2, F8 and F12 options when I very first start up. Even selecting from F8 to start windows normally under my last system default gives me the blue screen. Re-selecting Safe Mode gives me the blue screen. After trying 5-6 times and still getting the blue screen I hit F2 at start up and just said screw it and whats on my HD, I need my comp to work correctly so I went in and selected the "restore system defaults as your computer was when it left the factory" thinking this would help me. I did that, re-started, and still get this blue screen.

Long story short, I am stuck with the blue screen, I can't get back into Windows, I have probably and more than likely selected for my computer to go back to the factory settings/default, still have this Windows System Defender trojan and am at a complete loss of what to do.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't care if I need to wipe my HD clean to fix it. I would prefer not to but at this point I may have screwed things up pretty badly anyways.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:42 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 tstone703

tstone703
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:53 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

Its a Dell Dimension E521
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4200+, Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:03 AM

FWIW: Seems to be some confusion among Dell users, http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/1866...cs=19&s=dhs.

50 STOP errors...are caused by many things, including malware.

Personally, I tend to view 50 errors as a malware situation, even though they can be other. I'm no malware authority of any sort, just have the usual biases that humans have.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sou...mp;oq=&aqi=

I would do a clean install just to clear the air...and not complicate any future troubleshooting that may be required.

What CDs (relative to your system) do you have?

Louis

#5 tstone703

tstone703
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:18 AM

man.

I should have all my original CDs that came with my computer when I purchased it (I would have to double check though since I am not at home).

But from what you're saying is that I should just probably reinstall everything from the CDs that I have?

I know its probably the malware/Windows System Defender trojan causing all these problems. Really gutted that I haven't been able to get a good fix and keep digging myself a bigger hole it seems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users