Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Home Premium 64 bit will not boot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 beckin

beckin

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:36 AM

Hello, and thanks in advance for your help.

My computer was acting sluggish, so I decided to restart it. Now it keeps trying to boot from the cd drive and failing with the error: disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter.

This problem actually happened for the first time a few weeks ago during a restart immediately following a large number of Windows updates. At that point, I pressed F8 to start in "last known good configuration", ran a virus and spyware scan (found nothing) and did a system restore to an earlier point. Now that this problem has returned, I can't get the safe mode screen to come up again, no matter how delicately or frantically I press F8. Then I used my vista cd to try to repair windows. System restore is unable to locate any Vista installation, although it seems to see my two hard drives just fine, along with all of the files. System recovery found problems with my start up "bootmng" option, but when I select "repair and restart" I get the the error "Failed to save startup options" and it still fails to reboot.

What should I try next? I am not very experienced with Vista.

My apologies if this has been covered elsewhere...I tried to use all of the fixes posted here, but nothing has worked so far!

thanks,
Rebecca

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Senlis

Senlis

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:10 AM

The first thing I suggest in these types of situations is a checkdisk. When you press F8, one of the options it should give you is to open a command prompt. You can then type in 'chkdsk c: /r' and press enter. Note if there are any bad sectors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users