Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

{Solved} CD hangs, just a spinning icon...grrr !

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 compnovice

compnovice

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 05 August 2005 - 08:17 PM

I need help with my cd drive. When I put in this cd ( game ), the drive accesses it, then it just hangs there.

I get this spinning cd icon, but nothing else. The icon is there now spinning away. It has a little arrow on it, so I can use my mouse.

I tried ejecting, but nothing. I rebooted and tried another game cd. That worked. I have played this game many times. The only thing I have done recently was play some MP3's with Win Media player. Usually I play MP3 with another media player. Could this have affected this ?

Annoyed ! :thumbsup:
"The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
.......Al Swearengen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 05 August 2005 - 08:31 PM

have you tried the CD in another computer?

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#3 compnovice

compnovice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2005 - 09:07 PM

No other computer available here. Just this one.
"The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back."
.......Al Swearengen

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 05 August 2005 - 09:07 PM

Found this at the following site:

http://bat.tiradito.arizona.edu/computing/...ng%20Clean.html

CD Cleaning

Dirty CDs can result in data read errors from the computer.

Cleaning CD's can be done with a CD cleaning kit or a clean cotton cloth. Always wipe against the tracks, starting from the middle of the CD and wiping towards the outer side of the CD. NEVER wipe with the tracks in a circular pattern as doing so may add scratches on the CD.

There are commercially made cleaning cloths available in the Office Depot catalog.

Good-luck.
JC

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 05 August 2005 - 10:56 PM

Just a thought...

I have had problems with different games for various reasons. I have had problems with some games because the cd copy protection would not allow it to be played in a cd rw. Some games require that the player be a dvd player (the latest Myst is like this).

I'va laso had some disks that just didn't like my cd player for whatever reason.

You didn't say if it had worked previously, or which game it is. Usually there are support forums for games, and there might be a chance that someone else is having the same problem with the game that you are having.

#6 compnovice

compnovice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2005 - 06:55 AM

The game is Grand Theft Auto, Vice City .
And I've played this game alot without any problems.
.......Al Swearengen

#7 jcxhc

jcxhc

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2005 - 10:38 AM

what version of windows are you using?

#8 compnovice

compnovice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2005 - 05:58 PM

Windows XP Home.

I used one of those CD cleaners, but still the samething.
The only thing it will do now is let Windows Media Player play the sound files.

Wierd .. :thumbsup: ....

Could Windows Media Player be causing this ?
.......Al Swearengen

#9 jcxhc

jcxhc

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2005 - 06:44 PM

Ok, try putting hte disc in, and then after the icon comes up, press ctrl+alt+del, click on the processes tab, and find the gta process, and end it. Then try starting the game from the start menu.

#10 compnovice

compnovice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2005 - 07:31 PM

I've tried that, but there is no GTA.exe or similar process, at least that I can see.
.......Al Swearengen

#11 compnovice

compnovice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2005 - 07:16 PM

Ok, I think I fixed it. It was so simple, I feel like a dork.

I just hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and ended some backgroung processes that must have been interfering somehow. I am now able to play this CD.

Thanks for your help !

P.S. How do I mark this "solved"

Edited by compnovice, 16 August 2005 - 07:17 PM.

.......Al Swearengen

#12 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 16 August 2005 - 07:22 PM

Got it... I'll also close the topic since you fixed your problem. Good job!! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users