Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

got some problems with windows 98 SE

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:01 AM

Hey guys.

I got windows 98 se and got a few problems.

First one is:
That i got a 80 gb drive and i partition it into 10 gb , 5 gb and left over 65 gb left for music and files.
But i want to put the 5 gb back to the 65gb partition .
So i fired up partition manager and did it , now there are two drives in my computer.
One is D: drive which i cant access and the other is G: which is working fine, D: is claiming to be G: drive(when i try to format it says i got 65gb).
So i did not format it as it may format G: drive.
any one know how i can fix this?

(Norton Ghost sees the drive only as D: and it can write to it and Ubuntu only sees one drive but does not say which drive letter).
C: drive is working fine.

Last problem.

I tried installing Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility , so i could then install Intel Application Accelerator which said i needed Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility.

So i install Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility.
When i restarted the computer the computer had just shut down all a sudden when booting.
So i turned it back on and it said the system registry has been restored and now its trying to install all my original drivers back again(video card,sound,monitor)

Lucky i had Norton Ghost and now am fine , but i need this installed because it does speed up games a bit.

(I made sure Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility is for my chip set :intel 815E)

Please help

Edited by starcraftmaster, 11 November 2009 - 07:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:36 AM

Hey guys.

I thought you were an WinME user?

Which version of Partition Manager are you using and which type?

I use Partition Manager 8.0 from a floppy but I don't like the way it does stuff. I have a 500GB drive with WinXP on it. I had to do yet another rebuild last night so I thought I would partition the main drive with a 40GB partition so I can run Win98 or WinME. You make a 40GB partion and it shows 2 partitions a 7.9GB and a 47GB. Because Win9x/ME has to be on the logical partition it doesn't allow me to change the drive letter. It still says C: is the main drive. I tried many options but none of them would show what I wanted.

I gave up in the end, I deleted all partitions and let WinXP format the full drive. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:20 PM

Hey guys.

I thought you were an WinME user?

Which version of Partition Manager are you using and which type?

I use Partition Manager 8.0 from a floppy but I don't like the way it does stuff. I have a 500GB drive with WinXP on it. I had to do yet another rebuild last night so I thought I would partition the main drive with a 40GB partition so I can run Win98 or WinME. You make a 40GB partion and it shows 2 partitions a 7.9GB and a 47GB. Because Win9x/ME has to be on the logical partition it doesn't allow me to change the drive letter. It still says C: is the main drive. I tried many options but none of them would show what I wanted.

I gave up in the end, I deleted all partitions and let WinXP format the full drive. :thumbsup:

PowerQuest PartitionMagic
Version 6.0

#4 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:23 AM

also i forgot to tell you that before the registry restore this happens when booting

Write fault error writing device Aux

Abort, retry , ignore , fail

i chose the last three which do not do anything and then i do Abort which shuts down the computer
and then i restart and the registry restore comes up

so i thought that i would back up the registry before i install the inf files
same problem and when it restores the registry i don't need to install any drivers
but when i go to install Intel Application Accelerator it says i do not have the chip inf update installed :thumbsup:

#5 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 07:37 AM

:thumbsup:

WIN98SE was a bit funny about Partition Managers?

I actually never used them, just used the Tools within Windows98SE Start Up to Partition.

Back then it revolved about setting up a Primary Dos, then extended interface to set up each one, after that you formated each Partition. Using Partition Tools back then was quite a chancie risk.

Keithuk seems to say similar?

If I was you? I would save it all and start again using Windows98SE Start Up Disk, to do it?

Edited by Abacus 7, 12 November 2009 - 07:55 AM.

#6 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:05 AM

:flowers:

I actually never used them, just used the Tools within Windows98SE Start Up to Partition.

Back then it revolved about setting up a Primary Dos, then extended interface to set up each one, after that you formated each Partition. Using Partition Tools back then was quite a chancie risk.

If I was you? I would save it all and start again using Windows98SE Start Up Disk, to do it?

I wouldn't have thought is would make any difference which partition app your using. They will format the partition ready to install Win98 or any operating system.

I know Fdisk will sort out partitions but it doesn't work on these large drives today. That uses the Primary DOS Partition.

What tools do you use to make a partition with Win98SE Abacus? I've tried to make a 40GB partition in WinXP but the max size is 8.7GB :thumbsup:

Keith

#7 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:12 AM

i dont feel like starting all again

can i ghost and then format in fdisk and then put ghost back ?

also i ghosted back before i paritioned it and it still does this
(norton ghost only sees two parition C: and D: drive , so drive G; is the phantom drive but windows thinks its the proper drive)

#8 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:15 AM

can i ghost and then format in fdisk and then put ghost back ?

Fdisk doesn't format you have to use the boot disk. :thumbsup:

Keith

#9 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:23 AM

:flowers:

I wouldn't have thought is would make any difference which partition app your using. They will format the partition ready to install Win98 or any operating system.

I know Fdisk will sort out partitions but it doesn't work on these large drives today. That uses the Primary DOS Partition.

What tools do you use to make a partition with Win98SE Abacus? I've tried to make a 40GB partition in WinXP but the max size is 8.7GB :thumbsup:

Excuse me? Just joking Keith,

I stated that I have never used Outside Patition Makers, else I may have been mistaken?
Quite simply, I have used the available Windows ones, all through my time in Computers.

Often people think that something else is better? So away they go.

Others, just quitely enjoy what they get in their Package and are very Happy about it. Does that say that the same people are Stupid?

#10 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:33 AM

Starcraftmaster?

Only you really knows?

You can not make a Silk Purse out of a Sow's ears, Mate.

We are waiting?

#11 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:55 PM

Ok this is just getting to annoying now.

Am going back to windows me. :thumbsup:

Edited by starcraftmaster, 12 November 2009 - 09:57 PM.

#12 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:55 AM

ok back to win ME YER

still got the two drives but i'll try fixing that later

#13 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:22 PM

Best of Luck to you, Mate.

Edit. Just a thought occurred to me from rereading this?

What tools do you use to make a partition with Win98SE Abacus? I've tried to make a 40GB partition in WinXP but the max size is 8.7GB

I used to have WIN98SE set up on a Dual Boot on this Machine on a 40G Partition as C: Drive and XP on a 40G Partition as D: Drive with three other Partitions, E:, F:, and G: for Data from them all averaged out close to 40G except for G: which was what was left over from the Partitioning. I used the inbuilt Partitioner in XP to do that all, then Formatted ALL Drives under XP, but made sure that C: Drive was done as FAT32. At the time it was a brand new WD 200G HDD and did it flawlessly, as did the install of WIN98SE afterwards. From my own experience trying to reformat a Drive to FAT32 after it has been formatted as NTFS is not an easy task. similar to trying to go backwards from FAT32 to FAT16.

Maybe you could try using ME's built in Tools to set up the Partitions? after saving all your Data onto Burnt Disks first, because it will be lost during the proceedure.

Sometimes there is just no simple way around things, particularly when it comes to WIN98SE and before? At the Time I had all my Data saved on a completely seperate HDD and added it later, with the exception to the WIN98SE Disk which was added to E: Drive, by using the New 200G as a Slave HDD to the original HDD to allow it to be copied onto it. Install was accomplished by using the Start Up Disk and installing WIN98SE from E: Drive rather that from CD. BTW, quite a Legal proceedure, but it negated any further use of the CD, just a redirect to E: Drive when asked for the CD by Windows. One of the Trick Shots that serious people used then. when re format and re install was a regular occurance. Most of the Drivers were also stored on other Drives as well to make it work smoothly and quickly.

Maybe others can use this to get around the sizes that WIN98SE imposes? But before that it would probably be a waste of time, also I do feel that after XP? NTFS is the only Format used? That would make WIN98SE inoperatable as it needs FAT16 or FAT32. All before used either FAT16 or FAT8 as their Format.

Regards,

Ray.

Edited by Abacus 7, 13 November 2009 - 08:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users