Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Crashing at Start-Up

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#1 FranklenStein

FranklenStein

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:13 PM

This concerns a Dell laptop I have through work.

While doing some work, I had an AVG warning pop up stating I had two Trojan horse viruses (Sheur2 type if that's helpful). Didn't really have the two hours to scan the whole computer with AVG, so downloaded and ran Malwarebytes which tracked down 8 infections (5 or so were Rootkit things I believe). Malwarebytes allegedly cleaned them and prompted me to restart the computer.

However, it won't restart. Now simply crashes when it gets to the Dell screen, asking me if I want to restart in various Safe Modes, Normally, or Last Good Configuration. Tried them all several times, but it simply returns to that screen.

Got to the advanced menu and disabled automatic restart and got the following error message:

STOP: 0x0000007B 0xF79AA528 0x00000000 0x00000000

Please tell me I have not effectively lost all my data. Been too long since I backed anything to my external drive! Of course my friend has my XP system disc (a jinx if ever I've seen one), though I imagine that would be my next step? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ebtech

ebtech

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:24 PM

You could try starting in safe mode to backup files until you can get the problem resolved.
Just tap F8 during boot and select safe mode.

Oops. I didn't read the whole thing before I posted. I see you tried safe mode already.

Here is some info on the possible cause.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrorm...p0x0000007b.htm

Looks like you're going to need that XP disc to try a recovery or fixmbr.

Edited by ebtech, 10 November 2009 - 10:38 PM.

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:43 PM

I cannot help you with your current problem but just want to make sure you know that anytime you have rootkits on your system, even if you removed them, your system cannot be deemed truly safe again without doing a low-level format.

After you get the data you need that is on your disk backed up, you should consider doing a reformat and reinstall. If you have done any online banking on that sytem since becoming infected, change all your passwords on a system you know to be free of infection and you should notify the banks. Passwords for everything should be changed.

#4 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:54 PM

also note:
If your work has an IT department, they might not appreciate you trying to fix it yourself. They probably have the original Dell recovery disk that came with the system or if the company is large enough, an image of it after all the company software is installed.

If you know how to back up your data with the computer in the state it is now, then that is up to you. But if you don't, you should see if they don't have a procedure to swap the drive with another and recover your data while you go on working.

Of course many of us who used to run such IT departments are now sitting at home in our pajamas giving advice to those of you who are left. :thumbsup:

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:35 PM

STOP: 0x0000007B 0xF79AA528 0x00000000 0x00000000
Please tell me I have not effectively lost all my data.

Nah! She'll be apples.

Recover your files: This should give you some peace of mind ....

Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...ndows-computer/

If you wouldn't mind being the "test-pilot", I would be very interested to see whether the following fix was applicable ....

Fix STOP Error 00000007B
http://thinkinginpixels.com/quick-fixes/fi...ror-0x0000007b/
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#6 FranklenStein

FranklenStein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:07 PM

If that first link works, then you sir are my new hero. Seriously.

Am still hoping to to salvage the thing via doing an XP repair, but the computer in question is XP Pro, and the only version I own is XP Home. Doesn't appear to be interchanable so I don't know that that second fix would apply. Am trying to get a copy through IT, but they apparently have everything on a flash drive that essentially just erases and reinstalls all the company nuts and bolts if I understand correctly.

If the discs are interchangable, I would be happy to play guinnea pig provided I got the data off first. Will running Ubuntu effectively end my chances of repair disc (should I track one down)?

#7 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:45 PM

Will running Ubuntu effectively end my chances of repair disc (should I track one down)?

I do not understand what you mean by "repair disc (should I track one down)"
Running Ubuntu as a LIVE CD operating system and recovering your files will NOT make any changes to your hard drive.
So, I guess it will NOT "end my chances of repair disc (should I track one down)" ... what ever it is that you mean.

Recovering your files should be a fairly simple, quick and straight-forward task.

You said: "Am still hoping to to salvage the thing via doing an XP repair"
Good: That sounds like fun. It is the only way we will get to learn anything from this adventure.

It would seem that you have two options moving forward ...
1. Dell site "user32.dll replacement"
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...vicetag=846B0B1
2. thinkinginpixels 0x7B fix
http://thinkinginpixels.com/quick-fixes/fi...ror-0x0000007b/

As with the Dell fix, I do not think it will matter that your CD is for Home and the system is Pro with the thinkinginpixels 0x7B fix either.

If you were to ask "Which should I try first?" ... I would say "the Dell fix ... it is very specific. I do not know exactly what the thinkinginpixels fix does." However, if you wish, after backing up your files, we could use Ubuntu to "poke about" in the Windows system and have a look at the user32.dll situation before actually doing anything. We could also use Ubuntu to perform the user32.dll fix (simpler than using the Recovery Console). Let me know when you have retrieved a backup copy of your files and are ready to move to the next step.

Edit: I thought "test pilot" sounded better than "guinnea pig"

Edited by AustrAlien, 12 November 2009 - 05:48 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#8 FranklenStein

FranklenStein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:03 PM

I was referring to the XP Operating System disc I have when I said repair disc.

I am (to put in nicely), extremely ineperienced doing any of this so you'll have to forgive me if I sound timid. Just concerned that I'll manage to do something irrevocable and ruin any and all hope of tracking down my data.

Am currently in the process of trying to burn myself a copy of the Ubuntu program you pointed me towards (already inexplicably closed itself down once), but at 700MB, it's showing 8+ hours of download time remaining.

I initially assumed that I should try the XP Operating System disc repair route, but when I looked at some tutorials online, it didn't seem to be giving me the option to try to repair, but rather only to reinstall (which as I understand would erase everything on my hard drive).

Clarify for me...I should try one of those links you put first, or I should try the Ubuntu and/or XP Operating System disc repair route? Thanks.

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:39 PM

Am currently in the process of trying to burn myself a copy of the Ubuntu program you pointed me towards (already inexplicably closed itself down once), but at 700MB, it's showing 8+ hours of download time remaining.

Yes, Ubuntu is a 700 MB download. This is not a problem for most people with high speed broadband connections and unlimited usage.

If this is a problem for you ... Puppy Linux will do the same job, but is only a 105 MB download.
http://www.puppylinux.org/
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 08:52 PM

Clarify for me...I should try one of those links you put first, or I should try the Ubuntu and/or XP Operating System disc repair route?

Ahhhhhhh .... could take me a while to try and figure out what you mean here ...

In the meantime .... concentrating on retrieving a backup copy of your files ...
If download size is a problem ... this is a good solution. BartPE is only a 3 MB download !!!
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Download the BartPE builder and use your XP installation CD to build a BartPE bootable CD. You can use this to recover your files just as easily as a Linux version (Ubuntu).
Building your BartPE might look a little intimidating: It is not really difficult (easy for me to say, I know .... not too sure what you will think of it though?)

We can also use BartPE to carry out the user32.dll investigation/fix too.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#11 FranklenStein

FranklenStein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:38 PM

Well, I did burn a BartPE CD after reading through various potential cures.

However...when I tried to boot it in my sick computer, I got an error message, and just assumed this would not be a viable fix.

Have no idea how to use the XP Operating System disc to build a BartPE one that works (and had no idea I needed to frankly).

So after the Ubuntu (which is looking to be done WAY past my bedtime at this point), that would be my next step I take it?

Thanks again.

#12 Bobby-G

Bobby-G

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:05 PM

If you have the correct windows disc with the correct service pack you can try to do a system flle check. It will check to see if all the windows system files are intact. Click on start and run....type sfc /scannow and click enter. When the process is over, restart and see if problem persists. If that doest work - you may be able to repair windows. Let me know if it doesnt.

#13 FranklenStein

FranklenStein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:18 PM

If you have the correct windows disc with the correct service pack you can try to do a system flle check. It will check to see if all the windows system files are intact. Click on start and run....type sfc /scannow and click enter. When the process is over, restart and see if problem persists. If that doest work - you may be able to repair windows. Let me know if it doesnt.

I'm afraid you've lost me. The Windows XP disc I have is a Home edition, probably 5 years old, and the computer I'm trying to resurrect is (was) funning XP Professional. Can't currently boot Windows at all which has what brought me here in the first place.

#14 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2009 - 11:28 PM

So after the Ubuntu (which is looking to be done WAY past my bedtime at this point), that would be my next step I take it?

Hopefully you can get Ubuntu downloaded and burned to CD following the instructions in the guide, and it will boot for you without any problems. Otherwise, sing out!
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#15 FranklenStein

FranklenStein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 12:04 AM

Hopefully you can get Ubuntu downloaded and burned to CD following the instructions in the guide, and it will boot for you without any problems. Otherwise, sing out!

Will do. 4 1/2 hours remaining. I may need some hand-holding to get the thing done, so I will definitely let you know. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users