Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

malwarebytes missing mbam.exe

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cons2000

cons2000

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:04 PM

Hi there,

I have been getting pop-ups for some crazy sites, (lonely housewifes etc.) I had malwarebytes loaded on my computer & I tried to run it and I get the following box which states "Windows is searching for mbam.exe. To locate file yourself click browse. This file seems to be missing. I tried to redownload it, but I get the same results. Any advice?

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 skyking1

skyking1

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:35 PM

Hello, I had the same problem. One of the moderators posted a fix in my thread here.
thread

#3 cons2000

cons2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 04:42 PM

Sometimes I get the 707 error & other times it states that malware is already running, but It is nowhere to be found.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:31 AM

-- Some types of malware will disable Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and other security tools to keep them from running properly. Others may delete the main mbam.exe executable file during installation or when attempting to perform a scan which results in various errors.

One way to resolve this is to download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on a non-infected computer.
  • After installation, open Windows Explorer and navigate to the C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ folder where mbam.exe is located.
  • Copy the mbam.exe file to the Desktop and rename it to wuauclt.exe or explorer.exe.
  • Save the renamed file to a usb flash drive or CD, then transfer to the infected computer.
    • Another option is to upload the file somewhere so you can download it later to the infected computer.
    • If you do not have access to another computer, ask a friend to email or upload a renamed mbam.exe for you and provide a link to download it.
  • Place the renamed mbam.exe in the C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder on the infected computer, then double-click on it to launch the program.
  • Check for database definition updates through the program's interface.
  • Then perform a Quick Scan, check all items found for removal and reboot afterwards.
  • Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
  • When done, click the Logs tab and copy/paste the contents of the report in your next reply.
If that still did not work, then try changing the file extension. <- click this link if you do not see the file extension
If using Windows Vista, refer to these instructions.
  • Right-click on the wuauclt.exe file, and change the .exe extension to .scr, .com, .pif, or .bat.
  • Double-click on wuauclt.scr (or whatever extension you renamed it) to launch the program.
  • Check for database definition updates through the program's interface, perform a Quick scan, check all items found for removal and reboot afterwards.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users