Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Keeps Connecting and Disconnecting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pfour12

pfour12

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:58 PM

A little about my system first:

Dell Dimension desktop
Intel Pentium D, 3.2 Ghz
2.00 GB of RAM
Netgear WG311v3 Wireless Card
Belkin N+ Router
WEP Protected
Roommates connected Wired and Wirelessly with no problems.

Had a D-Link WDA2320 Wireless Card
Had 2 Netgear Routers (can find numbers for them if need be)
Had a Belkin N150 Router

I guess I'll first describe the problem I'm having now. Currently my wireless internet keeps connecting and disconnecting. During some periods of the day, usually daytime, my internet will seemingly run fine. However at other periods of the day, usually night, the internet will drop in and out whenever I'm using my computer (it seems to work fine when not being used).

Since the reconnection happens almost instantly, it's not a pain if I'm simply surfing the internet. But when trying to watch videos or going to websites with a lot of flash, nothing ever loads properly. Also, sometimes the internet will just quick out for at least a minute or so and I'll have to manually reconnect (have never let it sit to see if it will reconnect on its own).

I've google searched my problem and most of the issues relate to when the network is WPA protected, or I've tried their solutions and did not succeed. I've also searched through this forum and the few related topics do not answer my question.

The wireless card came with it's own setup wizard and program to run the wireless card. However, with that program, I was unable to connect to the internet. Instead, I am using Windows to handle my connections while the Netgear program still runs. Even with the program disabled, these problems still occur. Also, I can't delete the program because it automatically disables the adapter.

The Netgear program tells me that the WAP actually has a strong connection signal to where I am located, so I don't think distance is the key. The program also shows me that there is another network nearby that has a stronger signal strength, but I can't connect to that network (and I don't want to) and I made sure it is on a different channel.

Lastly, this is only the first of many problems I've had with the internet in the past two months. We've gone through two Netgear routers that worked, didn't work, worked, didn't work. I had solid internet connection with the Belkin N150, but we thought our connection from the service provider was fixed so we returned that router. The Netgears then didn't work, and we know have the other Belkin. Before, I had a D-Link router in my computer and I would get a "Limited or No Connectivity" message for the same time periods as above.

If you need to know more about what I've done or what has occurred, I'll supply it, but I feel like I'm just getting my anger out at this stage. (It's been two months or shotty internet!) What's worse is that Netgear only offers free support online, and I feel like this forum might give me a more trustworthy and speedy response.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:42 AM

What OS is on your PC?

You mentioned your room mates, connecting wired and wireless and they've never had the issues you are?

I am assuming you've called your ISP and had them look at it? specially when you are having the issue. That is the best time to call them BTW, when you have the issue going on.

Do you lose internet only? or do you lose wireless connection to the router? Does a red X show on the wireless icon by the clock?

You mentioned having 2 different cards, did you completely uninstall the first when you installed the second? Completely uninstall = remove device from device manager, uninstall all software from add/remove programs and then reboot the PC.

Do you run a firewall? Windows or 3rd party.

Some environmental things: How far away is your PC from the router? What are the walls covered with, sheet rock or plaster? Do you have a cordless phone?

When it comes to wireless there are so many factors that can come into play. If your room mates aren't experiencing any of this then I'd guess its not the ISP nor the routers fault. Its something on your PC.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 pfour12

pfour12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:22 AM

Thanks for the fast reply.

"What OS is on your PC?"

Windows XP SP3

"You mentioned your room mates, connecting wired and wireless and they've never had the issues you are?"

Nope.

"I am assuming you've called your ISP and had them look at it? specially when you are having the issue. That is the best time to call them BTW, when you have the issue going on."

The ISP always states that they only deal with their own connection and say if I'm having problems, it must be the third party hardware and not their concern.

"Do you lose internet only? or do you lose wireless connection to the router? Does a red X show on the wireless icon by the clock?"

Yes, I cannot connect to the router itself.

"You mentioned having 2 different cards, did you completely uninstall the first when you installed the second? Completely uninstall = remove device from device manager, uninstall all software from add/remove programs and then reboot the PC."

I did uninstall the software and that didn't work. I didn't remove the hardware from device manager but it is not there anymore.

"Do you run a firewall? Windows or 3rd party."

Windows firewall.

"Some environmental things: How far away is your PC from the router? What are the walls covered with, sheet rock or plaster? Do you have a cordless phone?"

Two sheet rock walls away, about 25 feet. My roommate lives above me so has the same amount of walls but more distance, and his internet seemingly works. Also, there are no cordless phones here, but there are about five or six networks in a close vicinity.

"When it comes to wireless there are so many factors that can come into play. If your room mates aren't experiencing any of this then I'd guess its not the ISP nor the routers fault. Its something on your PC."

Unfortunately, I know. I don't really care what it is, as long as I fix it though. I have been considering just going out and buying a usb wireless-n adapter and seeing how that works.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users