Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

proxies

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shadow322

shadow322

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:38 PM

Every now and then I like to use a proxy just because I'm cool like but what I was wondering is there any way of a site still knowing your real IP? I've tested it on some of those sites that show your IP and they all showed the proxies IP but I'm sure there are alot more advanced sites then those lol. Thanks for your answer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:44 PM

Using a proxy is like forwarding your snail mail to a safe house. The Post Office knows who sent it and where it's going otherwise it would never arrive. Somebody somewhere needs to know your real IP or you won't get a web query returned. True anonymity on the web is a myth. Add to the fact using a proxy slows down your browsing due to the extra steps to 'hide you'.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 shadow322

shadow322
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:34 PM

Ok so lets say I wanted to hide my IP from a certain site is there anyway they would be able to find my IP out? And I'm talking about proxies that are used by more then one person.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 12:45 AM

Without knowing the site you wish to hide from and the proxy you wish to use. I have no way of knowing. I cannot make a determination of their effectiveness. And to be honest I don't need or want to know. Thats your business.

I'm just saying if someone has a need to find your IP with the proper contacts and paperwork they can find you.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 DigitalFamilyMember

DigitalFamilyMember

• Banned
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

First of all, why do you want to ?

i'm aware certain sites Use a different type of location tracking which is based on hardware (to do with the network adapter's MAC address, PS not the router, and not IPs)...but I won't go into too much detil about that.

If it's IP based tracking, it depends on the effectiveness... They can't see your real IP address if you use an elite proxy of course since the proxy headers don't reveal the origins.

However, proxies that aren't so anonymous contain a variable such as 'HTTP_forwarded_for_-insert real IP-'

#6 DigitalFamilyMember

DigitalFamilyMember

• Banned
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

Sorry Animal, but you are wromg. I know sites have a different way too like I just said but they can't find your real IP unless it's a seripus crime... They might see a suspicious hostname which doesn't contain the real IP, maybe but ai'm sure they might ask the VPN provider.
However, some are too anonymous, Animal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users