Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Forgot it has Speakers, help

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 krizda88

krizda88

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:31 PM

First a bit of info about my computer and my current setup. I have an approx. 3 1/2 yo dell Inspiron laptop with windox XP prof service pack 3. My computer is currently hooked up to a docking station I use to connect it to an external monitor, keyboard and mouse (at this point it basically provides me with more USB ports). I have a pair of external speakers that I would like to use and have used in the past (the most recent past being about two weeks ago) without any problems. Now however, my computer refuses to recognize any playback audio devices even its own built in speakers.

I've seen other topics where people say their computer doesn't recognize or use their external speakers. I have this problem but it's a bit different. My computer doesn't think it has any playback audio devices connected to it at all. This computer is a laptop, it won't even use it's own speakers. I know these speakers work because I ran pre-boot diagnostics and the speakers worked perfectly. Also strangely enough when I ran a System File Scan earlier today then rebooted, my audio worked perfectly external speakers and all... for a while. I don't know exactly how long it worked because I had to go to class. all I know is that when I returned my computer had once again forgotten about its speakers. This makes me wonder what in the world is messing with my protected system files and why my computer seems unable to maintain them without the Operating System disk? I have scanned and scanned and scanned some more and come up with nothing (used bitdefender and spybot search and destroy which I reinstalled specifically to check for anything bit defender missed it found a few things but nothing related to my problem). The only other thing I can think of is that my sound card is trying to die... unfortunately I don't know the name of my sound card but I believe it is a Creative product since it is a creative program that runs my sound (SB Audigy ADVANCE MB is what shows up in the program but I don't know what it refers to.)

This forum is my only help outlet because my Dell warranty has expired and they are no longer obligated to provide free service so they don't. I will not download anymore mal-ware removal tools etc because I've tried this in the past and you always have to pay money before the program will remove anything. Please keep in mind that as part of this issue I cannot change any of my playback audio device settings because as far as my computer is concerned I don't have any devices to configure at all. I also cannot do a system restore to a previous date because as part of campus policy we are required to disable that function. As a last resort I will consider repairing my operating system (I've done this before to correct a blue screen of death issue I had a few years ago) but I would rather not go through that hassle. If you need screen shots of my device manager, sound and audio settings menu, or anything else let me know and I will post them.

attached is screenshot of control panel audio settings...

Thanks!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:14 PM

You should start by re-installing your audio drivers.

You mentioned SoundBlaster Advanced MB. For downloading drivers for that package, visit this page :
http://support.creative.com/Products/Produ...e=Sound+Blaster

Download the second package from the top, it is for all versions of XP. (SB24_VTDRV_LB_1_04_0077.exe, file size 63 MB)

#3 krizda88

krizda88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:07 PM

should I do anything with the existing system before install? i.e. do I need to uninstall what's here or will the file I'm downloading take care of that?

#4 krizda88

krizda88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:15 PM

tried to install the indicated driver update received this error message: "Setup is unable to detect a supported product on your system. Please ensure that your product is properly installed before running this setup program." grrr...

#5 krizda88

krizda88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:44 AM

still need help. something else that's odd, now whenever I get a warning/error message I hear a beep that is much like what you hear when the operating system is not in control of the sound... hard to describe but it's not the usual lower pitched "bomp" sound its a higher pitched beep. also when the computer shuts down I can hear it turn the speakers off so the hardware part knows it's there but when the OS is in control it is as if there are no speakers at all. I would run another SFC but it will likely only fix things temporarily...

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 12:45 PM

Download Everest Ultimate from here : http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?ps=UE&...=35&lang=en
In the Multimedia section find out your sound card model number.
Go to Creative support site and download the relevant driver.

If sound card is external, remove it and re-insert the card. If that does not work, I am afraid your sound card is failing.

#7 krizda88

krizda88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:15 PM

attached is screen shot of multimed section, which of these is my sound card?

Attached Files

#8 krizda88

krizda88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:20 PM

Under HD Audio I found the following:

Intel 82801 GBM ICH7-M-High Definition Audio Controller [A-1]

Is that my sound card...?

#9 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:55 PM

To start with. This is a laptop. using downloaded drivers for desktop sound cards is rarely a good idea.

What is the model number of the laptop or even the service tag. Some older dells used sound boards not integrated on the mainboard, most do not.

The dell site is still the best place to get updated sound drivers to reinstall even though their phone support has gotten surly in recent years.

Can I assume you have tested it disconnected from the docking station? And with a headphone?

Note the Creative Audigy SB used in Dells is a software solution. No actual creative hardware should be installed.

Sound Blaster Audigy HD Software Edition
Main article: Environmental audio extensions

Also known as Sound Blaster Audigy ADVANCED MB, it is similar to Audigy 2 SE, but the software supports EAX 3.0, which supports 64-channel software wavetable with DirectSound acceleration, but without hardware accelerated wavetable synthesis. DAC is rated 95dB Signal-to-Noise Ratio.

It is available as an integrated option for Dell Inspiron, Studio and XPS notebooks.

Of note is that Creative hardware is not necessary for this device. It is entirely a software solution that is adaptable to various DACs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_Blaster_Audigy

also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_audio_extensions

Sound Blaster Audigy ADVANCED MB

Also known as Sound Blaster Audigy ADVANCED MB, it is similar to Audigy 2 SE, but the software supports EAX 3.0, which supports 64-channel software wavetable with DirectSound acceleration, but without hardware accelerated wavetable synthesis. DAC is rated 95dB Signal-to-Noise Ratio.

It is available as an integrated option for Dell Inspiron, Studio and XPS notebooks.

Later versions of the driver supports EAX 4.0

Also here is several long threads at Dell support forums filled with people who are trying to reinstall the software which requires a key and the original setup file it seems.
http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?s=gen&...amp;x=0&y=0

Of the 6 Dells I have on or around my workbench, I don't think any of them have this option. You can usually find a direct sound test icon in control panel for units that use this type of software augmentation to their onboard DSP.
It might give you some clues.

#10 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:38 PM

Under HD Audio I found the following:

Intel 82801 GBM ICH7-M-High Definition Audio Controller [A-1]

Is that my sound card...?

Yes it appears to be so. Download and install Intel chipset driver from : http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18052/a08/...st911_autol.exe

#11 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:45 PM

What model Inspiron laptop is this?
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#12 chrisatbluescreen

chrisatbluescreen

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:58 PM

Are they connected properly?
"What I cannot create, I do not understand"
Richard Feynman
Posted Image

#13 krizda88

krizda88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 04:09 PM

SErvice tag is 5VVXY91 (sadly I've have this memorized for a while now), On the computer it says Inspiron E1405 it is also identified as MXC061. Again, warranty is expired so Dell isn't obligated to help me so they don't.... If I can't fix this through downloads and such I'm going to do an OS repair in hopes of fixing whatever is messing with my system drivers. I just checked on a USB issue that I had and thought I fixed but it's back to acting up again. Which leads me to believe that the sound issue is just a symptom of something else. It appears as though my computer no longer knows how to use and maintain device drivers. I believe I will go ahead with an OS repair unless someone has a better idea...

#14 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:51 PM

Reloading the os from the recovery dvd is always an option. The time involved is getting kinda ugly. Download SP3 and load it to a cd if your recovery cd does not have it listed on the label.

Did you update the sigmatel from this page ?
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...D=INS_PNT_E1405

I would dl all the drivers from this page to use after the recovery and check to make sure your bios is updated too. Dell list A10 as critical.

Also the version some of that periods laptops have of Mcafee is a bear to get rid of.

http://www.pchell.com/virus/uninstallmcafee.shtml

I use this tool after killing the "you must install me!!" process with taskmanager. Have something else ready to install.

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licens...atches/MCPR.exe

#15 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:36 PM

The direct download to the sound drivers for your E1405 Dell is here.

And as was mentioned before but just in case, I would recommend updating the chipset drivers for the Intel 945GM chipset in your laptop. They can be found here.

Hope this helps,

Edited by techextreme, 11 November 2009 - 06:40 PM.

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users