Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Operating problems after changing a solid state netbook from Linux to Windows XP

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Andy-laa

Andy-laa

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:09 PM

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here could direct me to a relevant download required for a solid-state computer when changed over to Windows XP in order to prevent slow waiting times; here's the details:

1) It was originally a Linux-run, solid-state netbook.
-- An Acer, "Aspire One" model.

2) I have since changed the operating system to Windows XP (Black Lizard's Edition -- if this makes a difference: it's not the original Window's XP).

3) I have since been suffering from a ridiculously long waiting time for every function I try: every application takes well into 3-4 minutes before actually loading (I get the "Not responding" message in the status bar for minutes at a time, EVERY time).

I was informed that it was due to my not having downloaded a specific "patch" I believe the term was, that allows the operating system to communicate properly with the solid-state hardware.

I would GREATLY appreciate any assistance in this matter; I know it isn't viruses as, for one, this happened long before I managed to hook it up to the internet and I do regular malware checks using AVG.

All I'm really looking for is a straight-forward, free download link to something that can allow the operating system to communicate properly with the solid state hardware.

MANY thanks for any assistance in this incredibly frustrating matter.

Andy-Laa.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:01 PM

I am assuming from what I have read Black Lizard's Edition of Windows XP is not Official.
Because Black Lizard's Edition is not an official copy of Windows XP we cannot help you with its use.

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

-taken from Rules

Edited by powerjuce, 10 November 2009 - 07:02 PM.

#3 Andy-laa

Andy-laa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:11 PM

Ahhh I apologise; I didn't install the system personally...shall get that sorted, I suppose...would it be against the rules to ask how one would fix this problem for regular Windows XP?

(This would save me having to re-post the topic is all.)

#4 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:23 PM

We are sorry Andy-laa, this issue is in regards to an illegal copyright infringement and as powerjuce has stated, BleepingComputer does not assist in this instance. I am sorry but the best thing to do is simply to obtain a legal and legitimate copy of the Operating System. This topic is now closed.

Edited by Pandy, 10 November 2009 - 07:25 PM.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#5 Andy-laa

Andy-laa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:25 PM

Ok, I can sort that out tomorrow: I *have* a legal copy, it's just this is the one a slightly shady shop put onto the system...should have known...lol

No worries,

Thanks anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users