Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on Keylog protection!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 egotise

egotise

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:40 PM

Hello.

I have been using World of Warcraft [ MMORPG ] for four years or so.

And recently a lot of my friends around me are getting hacked, it seems random and it seems to be either by a keylogger, or one of these password generator thingies. None of us are entirely sure about what it is.

Knowing this now, I want as much protection and security as possible.

My passwords aren't easy to know or guess so I know I wont be attacked by one of these password generators, but the Keyloggers are another thing.

My sister [ Whose account I'm currently using. ] reccommends Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, I wanted to see what everyone else on here thinks.

If this is posted in the wrong category, I apologise.

Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:35 PM

I would use SuperAntiSpyware along with Malwarebytes

#3 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:58 PM

To add to Stang's advice, you also should practice safe computing. For safe practice, you should try to scan your computer with your antivirus software once every week (and probably the same with your other scanners as well if you want to be on the safe side, but it's not necessary, IIRC, unless you do suspect you have an infection).

For the password issue, if the password is weak, then it's pretty easy to hack into an account just by using those words that can be found anywhere (such as, for example, "toast"). If the password is strong, as in consisting of letters and numbers and possibly capitalization and symbols), it's more than likely they were infected by a keylogger or a worm that dropped a keylogger.

Also, if you're using the Window's firewall, you'll want to install a third party firewall as the Windows firewalls are usually insufficient compared to the other firewalls out there. You can find that here in Freeware Replacements for Common Commercial Apps. Of course, if the antivirus software that you have installed already has a firewall with it, you can leave that as is. Just make sure that (like an antivirus) you only have one running.

One important thing, of course, is to not download any hacks or 3rd party programs that's meant to exploit the game as these can sometimes be a vendor for malware, not to mention that it could also result in the loss of items/weapons/your account.

If your account does become compromised, you should contact WoW's support ASAP.

That's all the advice I can really give.

Edited by scff249, 10 November 2009 - 11:01 PM.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#4 egotise

egotise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:49 AM

Thank you very much for the swift response guys!

The only thing that possibly compromises my security is the fact I use Add-ons and so did the others whom were hacked. Unfortunately the add-ons are integral to the raid.

Hopefully the reccommended programs will be of great help!

Thanks again!

#5 dallas7

dallas7

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:24 AM

Be aware the free versions of Malwarebytes and Super AntiSpyware will scan, find and remove existing malware but only the paid versions offer real-time functions to prevent re-infection. Also, while they offer excellent protection for a broad spectrum of bad stuff, I can't say their logger protection is all that sterling.

An application that specifically targets logging malware in real-time is Zemana AntiLogger:
http://zemana.com/

They have for years developed their anti-logging technology to a fine art and to add icing to that cake, last year they added Sunbelt's Vipre engine. AntiLogger runs alongside your current anti-whatever you already run and is fully behavior driven - no signature or definition updates needed. Read more about it at their Web site.

Here's some more info:
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2009/0...1-year-license/
Unfortunatley, the free offer expired. :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Edited by dallas7, 11 November 2009 - 09:28 AM.

"Machines making machines... How perverse!" -C3PO
Win7-HP-SP1-64; Online Armor ++; Zemana; Malwarebytes Pro.

#6 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:02 PM

As others have said, MBAM and SAS are great apps. Also, safe computing practices is vital.

And don't fall for phishing scams! See No Trial Mounts For You, Donít Get Mounted By New World of Warcraft Mounts and Phishing for Gamers.

#7 SwiftHawk

SwiftHawk

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Location:C:\Universe\Milky Way\Sol\Terra\Canada\Quebec\Montreal\Home
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 13 November 2009 - 02:18 PM

Hey there,

Blizzard provides an account authorization tool that would provide an extra layer to your WoW account. As far as I know,it's free of charge. I have yet to use it but I would assume that it wouldn't hurt to have.

Cheers,

.. FOR THE HORDE!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users