Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP now asking for username

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Furball321

Furball321

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 05 August 2005 - 02:45 PM

I have Windows XP Pro. I didn't install it myself.

Normally, when my computer boots, it goes right to the desktop, where I can start playing around. I must have done something odd yesterday, though, because when I boot my computer today, I go to the login screen where I have to click on my name to get to the desktop. (I'm the only user on this computer.)

How do I make it skip this and take me directly to the desltop on bootup?

I have no memory of changing this or doing anything that would have changed it. Any thoughts on what might have happened?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2005 - 04:24 PM

Go to Windows Update and download the .NET Framework SP1 and any other update available.

http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat...ault.aspx?ln=en

#3 Snoman

Snoman

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2005 - 07:36 PM

Wow, that is very strange :thumbsup:, my computer is doing the same thing! Do you have XP Home Edition or Professional?

#4 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2005 - 08:17 PM

Check Windows Update site & download the updates.

#5 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2005 - 08:57 PM

When Microsoft first released the .Net 1.1 software, it was the default setting to start your computer this way for security reasons. So many people complained about this and tried to modify their registry, damaging their operating system in the process that Microsoft changed this with their first critical .net update.

Just do as River Rat suggests and update your software, that will take care of the problem. Just so you know, there have been at least two critical .net updates since its release so you will have to use the Windows update site at least three times to be sure you have gotten them all. Make sure you run Windows update until you installed all the critical updates available, not just the .net ones, they are critical for a reason. The other updates you may install at your own discretion.

Now if you will forgive me for getting on my soapbox for a minute;

You should also get in the habit of updating your operating system (and your security programs) software at least once a week. It only takes a few minutes to check for updates and it will (sooner or later) prevent you from spending hours trying to remove some garbage you picked up off the internet from your computer.

Make checking for these updates a regular part of your surfing habits, you will not regret it.

Update, update, update and after you do that, update again.

End of rant.

http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat...t.aspx?ln=en-us

Be safe and happy surfing. :thumbsup:

Edited by Ronbo, 05 August 2005 - 08:57 PM.

There is no justice, there is just us.

#6 Furball321

Furball321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2005 - 01:23 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I have Win XP Pro.

I used to be good at installing updates. But quite awhile back SP2 screwed me over so much I had to have someone reinstall the operating syste,

I'll do the updates now. Thanks again.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2005 - 02:22 PM

SP 2 didn't screw you. You didn't prepare your machine adequately (as per instructions from Microsoft) in order to be able to install the SP 2 download without problems, you had code written by third party vendors on your computer that was not compliant with XP's requirements, or you had spyware/malware infecting your computer when you attempted the installation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users