Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cftmon trojan horse problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Crede15

Crede15

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:57 PM

I was just browsing the internet the other day and I got some warning about a trojan horse problem which I think in retrospect was a fake warning, anyway I had some major problems, couldn't run malwarebytes, superanti-spyware or anything really, finally went to MSCONFIG looked through there, found something called cftmon, looked it up and found out it was some kind of trojan horse. So I clicked it off, restarted and then I could run the other programs.

Since then my computer's been ok at times, not so much at others. Nothing as bad as at first but still some issues. And every other time or so when I turn it on the cftmon thing is back on the MSCONFIG list. I don't seem to pick up anything on superantispyware (and I've been updating it) and on malwarebytes I usually pick up something about a fake trojan warning or something but this time a "rogue installer" came up. Here is the log for the scan I just now ran (ran a full scan for the first time)

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41
Database version: 3141
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

11/10/2009 2:57:13 PM
mbam-log-2009-11-10 (14-57-13).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|)
Objects scanned: 189218
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 4 minute(s), 50 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Documents and Settings\awebb\Local Settings\Application Data\crgduu\fyvrsysguard.exe (Rogue.Installer) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

BTW my problems (I've had one similar problem before) always seem to have something to do with adobe reader. I looked this up on google and there were articles about some kind of glitch which allows trojan horse problems. One of the articles recommended updating Adobe reader so I did but can't tell if that made a difference. Also installing a firefox add on called noscript or something like that was recommended to, installed it, find it to be a bit annoying but don't know how useful it is.

Anyway it definitely doesn't seem like its going away although nothing is really crashing like it was before. Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:03 PM

Please download TFC by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link
  • Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
  • Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.
  • Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.
Next:

Please perform a scan with Eset Onlinescan (NOD32).
(Requires Internet Explorer to work. If given the option, choose "Quarantine" instead of delete.)
Vista Users be sure to run Internet Explorer as Administrator. To do this, right-click on the IE icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select "Run as Administrator" from the context menu.)
  • You will see the Terms of Use. Tick the check-box in front of YES, I accept the Terms of Use
  • Now click Start.
  • You may receive an alert on the address bar that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Insall ActiveX component.
  • A new window will appear asking "Do you want to install this software?" (OnlineScanner.cab)".
  • Answer Yes to install and download the ActiveX controls that allows the scan to run.
  • Click Start. (the Onlinescanner will now prepare itself for running on your pc)
  • To do a full-scan, check: "Remove found threats" and "Scan potentially unwanted applications"
  • Press Scan to start the online scan. (this could take some time to complete)[/color]
  • When the scan has finished, it will show a screen with two tabs "overview" and "details" and the option to get information or buy software. Just close the window.
  • Now click Start > Run... > type: C:\Program Files\EsetOnlineScanner\log.txt
  • The scan results will open in Notepad.
  • Copy and paste the log results in your next reply.
Note: Some online scanners will detect existing anti-virus software and refuse to cooperate. You may have to disable the real-time protection components of your existing anti-virus and try running the scan again. If you do this, remember to turn\ them back on after you are finished.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 Crede15

Crede15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:26 PM

no problem with the tfc, but when I hit start to begin the eset scan it starts to load for a minute or so where it says "downloading virus signature database" and then it says "can not get update, is proxy configured?"

I have avast free antivirus but I cut off the on access protection control.

When I go to check the boxes it has the two you mentioned checked along with enable anti-stealth technology, whether that's checked or not it says the same thing about not being able to receive the update.

Edited by Crede15, 10 November 2009 - 04:57 PM.

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:46 PM

Please download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:
  • Main Mirror
    This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)
  • Zipped Mirror
    This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.
  • Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.
  • Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.
  • Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.
  • Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.

Posted Image
  • GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)
  • If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.
  • Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.
  • When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.
  • Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.
  • Exit GMER and re-enable all active protection when done.
-- If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in Safe Mode.

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#5 Crede15

Crede15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:05 PM

GMER 1.0.15.15163 - http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2009-11-10 20:02:18
Running: 8zqx5wqz.exe; Driver: C:\DOCUME~1\awebb\LOCALS~1\Temp\fflyaaoc.sys

---- System - GMER 1.0.15 ----

SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/ALWIL Software) ZwClose [0xA85D66B8]
SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/ALWIL Software) ZwCreateKey [0xA85D6574]
SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/ALWIL Software) ZwDeleteValueKey [0xA85D6A52]
SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/ALWIL Software) ZwDuplicateObject [0xA85D614C]
SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/ALWIL Software) ZwOpenKey [0xA85D664E]
SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/ALWIL Software) ZwOpenProcess [0xA85D608C]
SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/ALWIL Software) ZwOpenThread [0xA85D60F0]
SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/ALWIL Software) ZwQueryValueKey [0xA85D676E]
SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/ALWIL Software) ZwRestoreKey [0xA85D672E]
SSDT \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswSP.SYS (avast! self protection module/ALWIL Software) ZwSetValueKey [0xA85D68AE]
SSDT \??\C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASKUTIL.sys (SASKUTIL.SYS/SUPERAdBlocker.com and SUPERAntiSpyware.com) ZwTerminateProcess [0xA86930B0]

Code \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\mfehidk.sys (Host Intrusion Detection Link Driver/McAfee, Inc.) ZwDeleteKey [0xA707E50F]
Code \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\mfehidk.sys (Host Intrusion Detection Link Driver/McAfee, Inc.) ZwRenameKey [0xA707E525]
Code \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\mfehidk.sys (Host Intrusion Detection Link Driver/McAfee, Inc.) ZwTerminateProcess [0xA707E567]

---- Kernel code sections - GMER 1.0.15 ----

PAGE ntkrnlpa.exe!ZwTerminateProcess 805D29AC 5 Bytes JMP A707E56B \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\mfehidk.sys (Host Intrusion Detection Link Driver/McAfee, Inc.)
PAGE ntkrnlpa.exe!ZwRenameKey 806231D4 7 Bytes JMP A707E529 \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\mfehidk.sys (Host Intrusion Detection Link Driver/McAfee, Inc.)
PAGE ntkrnlpa.exe!ZwDeleteKey 80623C42 7 Bytes JMP A707E513 \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\mfehidk.sys (Host Intrusion Detection Link Driver/McAfee, Inc.)

---- User code sections - GMER 1.0.15 ----

.text C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchIndexer.exe[2936] kernel32.dll!WriteFile 7C810E27 7 Bytes JMP 00585C0C C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSSRCH.DLL (mssrch.dll/Microsoft Corporation)

---- User IAT/EAT - GMER 1.0.15 ----

IAT C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe[1028] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe [ADVAPI32.dll!CreateProcessAsUserW] 00380002
IAT C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe[1028] @ C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe [KERNEL32.dll!CreateProcessW] 00380000

---- Devices - GMER 1.0.15 ----

AttachedDevice \FileSystem\Ntfs \Ntfs aswMon2.SYS (avast! File System Filter Driver for Windows XP/ALWIL Software)
AttachedDevice \FileSystem\Ntfs \Ntfs mfehidk.sys (Host Intrusion Detection Link Driver/McAfee, Inc.)
AttachedDevice \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Ip aswTdi.SYS (avast! TDI Filter Driver/ALWIL Software)
AttachedDevice \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Tcp aswTdi.SYS (avast! TDI Filter Driver/ALWIL Software)
AttachedDevice \Driver\Tcpip \Device\Udp aswTdi.SYS (avast! TDI Filter Driver/ALWIL Software)
AttachedDevice \Driver\Tcpip \Device\RawIp aswTdi.SYS (avast! TDI Filter Driver/ALWIL Software)

Device \FileSystem\Fastfat \Fat A6964D20

AttachedDevice \FileSystem\Fastfat \Fat fltmgr.sys (Microsoft Filesystem Filter Manager/Microsoft Corporation)
AttachedDevice \FileSystem\Fastfat \Fat aswMon2.SYS (avast! File System Filter Driver for Windows XP/ALWIL Software)
AttachedDevice \FileSystem\Fastfat \Fat mfehidk.sys (Host Intrusion Detection Link Driver/McAfee, Inc.)

Device \FileSystem\Cdfs \Cdfs DLAIFS_M.SYS (Drive Letter Access Component/Roxio)

---- EOF - GMER 1.0.15 ----

#6 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 12:18 PM

Good... no rootkit that I can see...

Please update and rerun malwarebytes - post the fresh log. Also rerun Superantispyware and post a fresh log. Thanks!

#7 Crede15

Crede15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:39 PM

no malicious items for the first time in a while. superantispyware hasn't been picking up anything but tracking cookies but I'll go ahead and run that now.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41
Database version: 3148

11/11/2009 12:37:15 PM
mbam-log-2009-11-11 (12-37-15).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 123863
Time elapsed: 12 minute(s), 14 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#8 Crede15

Crede15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:16 PM

Screwed up and rebooted before I got a log, forgot superantispyware didn't automatically give you a notepad log like malwarebytes does. Anyway it picked up one thing, a trojan.gen/fake-spy, when I hit next to quarantine it or remove my avast antivirus popped up with a trojan horse warning. I'll run it again.

#9 Crede15

Crede15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:30 PM

came back with nothing this time

#10 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:42 PM

Please rerun TFC and then flush system restore.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok"
  • Disk Cleanup will scan your files for several minutes, then open.
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.
  • Click Ok. You will be prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?"
  • Click Yes, then click Ok.
  • Click Yes again when prompted with "Are you sure you want to perform these actions?"
  • Disk Cleanup will remove the files and close automatically.
Windows XP System Restore Guide

Edited by rigel, 11 November 2009 - 03:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users