Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CHKDSK

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 janelle834

janelle834

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:57 PM

Everytime I turn on my computer or restart it CHKDSK starts. Why is this happening? Can I stop it from automatically running?

Edited by janelle834, 10 November 2009 - 02:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ingle

Ingle

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:08 PM

Either it's scheduled to scan and has never been able to complete the scan so it tries when the computer is started, or the hard drive is presumed to be damaged and the computer is trying to make sure. I'd let it complete a scan so you can see what's going on and then it should stop. If it completes and doesn't stop; I believe you can change the schedule or remove it by right clicking on the hard drive and selecting properties, then tools. I'm not positive as I'm not on XP at the moment.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:10 PM

Chkdsk runs at boot...whenever Windows decides that it has detected a problem with either the file system or the hard drive.

Best advice I can give you...once you actually get into XP, run the chkdsk /r command.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (exactly as shown) and hit Enter or OK.

Type Y in response to onscreed query/information and hit Enter or OK.

Reboot the system. The chkdsk /r command will execute...when it completes, it will boot the system into XP.

Louis

#4 janelle834

janelle834
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:22 PM

It always completes(after about an hour) And it scrolls down with a whole bunch of writing but it boots so fast after that I don't have a chance to see what it says. Does it save a file somewhere where i can found out what it found?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:35 PM

I've never seen any point in reviewing the results...but they can be found (information item) in Event Viewer, Application tab, Winlogon source, eventid of 1001.

Just double-click on the line item.

Louis

#6 janelle834

janelle834
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:52 PM

I was able to see a lot of references to "orphaned " files... What are these?

#7 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:56 PM

CHKDSK has ensured that there are no "orphaned" files and that all the directory listings are for legitimate files. An orphaned file is one for which a legitimate FRS exists, but which is not listed in any directory. When an orphaned file is found, it can often be restored to its rightful directory, provided that directory is still around. If the directory that should hold the file no longer exists, CHKDSK will create a directory in the root directory and place the file there. If directory listings are found that reference FRSs that are no longer in use or that are in use but do not correspond to the file listed in the directory, the directory entry is simply removed.

taken from here

regards
powerjuce

#8 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:02 PM

For reference:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314835

At the end of this phase, CHKDSK has made sure that there are no "orphaned" files and that all directory listings are for legitimate files. An orphaned file is a file for which there is a legitimate file record segment but for which there is no listing in any directory. An orphaned file often can be restored to its proper directory if that directory still exists. If the proper directory no longer exists, CHKDSK creates a directory in the root directory and places the file there. If CHKDSK finds directory listings for file record segments that are no longer in use, or for file record segments that are in use but that do not correspond to the file that is listed in the directory, CHKDSK simply removes the directory entry for the file record segment.

Have you had a failed install recently? I have had to run this utility on a system that ran checkdisk every time it booted. Read the caveats though. It could bugger office 2007 or later.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Edited by Ken-in-West-Seattle, 10 November 2009 - 07:05 PM.

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:29 PM

I have seen this behavior on occasion when an external USB drive was plugged in that is formatted in fat 32.

#10 janelle834

janelle834
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:37 PM

No, have'nt had any failed installs..
Also checked under scheduled tasks and it's not scheduled to run.

#11 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:10 PM

When your system boots, Windows will automatically check the volumes to see if they are clean or dirty.

If they are clean, chkdsk will not run after the check. If they are dirty, the automatic check will start chkdsk and it will run and put results in the Event Log. You may not see any results on the screen when it is done unless you are watching very carefully.

A volume becomes dirty when a problem has occurred that makes the file system suspicious. Something like a power failure could result in a volume being marked dirty.

The only/best way (I know of) to properly clear the "dirty bit" is to let chkdsk run completely.

You can query the dirty bit of your volumes by clicking Start, Run and in the box enter:

cmd

Click OK opening a Command window. If you want to query your C drive, in the Command window enter:

fsutil dirty query c:

What is the status of your volumes?

Type exit to close the Command window.

If the result is Dirty, chkdsk /r will run on the next reboot. Fsutil will let you set a dirty bit, but not clear it, and you wouldn't want to clear it anyway - you want to fix the problem, whatever it is.

If you can't make sense of the results in the Event Log, it may be easier to understand what is happening by running:

chkdsk /r

from the Windows Recovery Console. Then you can watch it and see what it does or doesn't do.

To do that, RC needs to be installed on your system as a boot option, or you need to boot a genuine XP installation CD (not a manufacturers system recovery CD), or boot a Recovery Console CD.

Do you have a bootable XP installation CD or bootable Recovery Console CD?

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#12 janelle834

janelle834
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:14 PM

The chkdsk problem is fixed. It was so simple...
I opened msconfig and selected normal startup (it was set to selective startup).
This did the trick.

Thanks everyone for the help though.

#13 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:28 PM

janelle834

You may now want to check msconfig again. Normally selective startup is not checked unless the msconfig has been used to disable items from running on boot on the startup tab.
If this is the case then by selecting normal startup all programs that had been disabled are now likely to have been re-enabled to run with Windows startup.

#14 janelle834

janelle834
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:27 AM

ok thanks!
yeah i have used msconfig to disable certain programs from starting............................

Edited by janelle834, 11 November 2009 - 02:29 AM.

#15 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:40 PM

It is good it is behaving.

I do not understand how selecting Selective Startup would cause chkdsk to run at every reboot, so if somebody will 'splain that, I would be much obliged.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users