Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No LAN button in taskbar

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 FunkyChicka

FunkyChicka

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:13 PM

I'm trying to enable the Bluetooth on my Sony Vaio laptop. I am using the instructions provided on their website for my specific laptop. And first step is:

Right click the LAN icon in the taskbar. There isn;t any icon of the sort. My wireless is switched on and everything. But there is no LAN icon. The image given in the instructions is a small green LAN button. I don't have that. Can someone help me get it to appear please?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:49 PM

Goto your Network Connections -> right click on the Local Area Connection or wireless connection -> click Properties -> put a check mark beside "Show icon in notification..." that is the only network icon I know of. Unless there is one that is supposed to be there because its part of the Vaio "package". Can you post the site with the instructions? Perhaps that will clear it up.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 FunkyChicka

FunkyChicka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:01 PM

Goto your Network Connections -> right click on the Local Area Connection or wireless connection -> click Properties -> put a check mark beside "Show icon in notification..." that is the only network icon I know of. Unless there is one that is supposed to be there because its part of the Vaio "package". Can you post the site with the instructions? Perhaps that will clear it up.

Thanks but I know how to do this with XP. But I have Windows 7 on this laptop and it all looks like completely new stuff so I don't know how to get to the Network Connections part.

This is the link anyway: http://genesis.sony-europe.com/instranet/c...;m=VGN-NW20EF_P

#4 FunkyChicka

FunkyChicka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:08 PM

Anyone please?

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:18 PM

This site has the steps to turn on the Bluetooth but also gives you a way to get that LAN button to show as well.

Just as I thought that LAN button is a VAIO thing. =)

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 FunkyChicka

FunkyChicka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:36 PM

This site has the steps to turn on the Bluetooth but also gives you a way to get that LAN button to show as well.

Just as I thought that LAN button is a VAIO thing. =)

Thanks. But where does it say how to get the LAN button to show?

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:45 PM

Step 2Open the Vaio Central utility on your computer's operating system if the Wireless Switch icon wasn't in the tray. This can be accessed by the computer's Start menu or by the Vaio Support Central application. Go to the System Information tab in Vaio Central.

Step 3 Open the folder labeled "Network Connections" from the folder list in the System Information tab. Click on the +/- button beside the folder to show the list of options within the folder. Select "Wireless Switch Settings," which should have the blue-green square icon next to it.

#8 FunkyChicka

FunkyChicka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:52 PM

There isnt a green LAn button in that section either.

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:31 PM

Ok....but can you do what the instructions say to do? Cause I read them as if the button isn't there do this. So for now skip getting the button to appear and just do what the instructions say to do to turn on Bluetooth. IF that doesn't work then I'd contact Sony cause that button is a part of their software not Win7.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users