Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Os on SSD drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:11 PM

I'm very interested with spending a little on a SSD drive too install Win7 on when it gets here to provide even mode speed.

How ever there are a few problems with this that I am concerned with.

After the Win7 installation on the SSD drive, that drive would be labeled as C:/ and everything I have ever come across defaults too the C:/ for installation.

I still am keeping my other 1TB drive, and I wanted too be able too install the programs there. I was wondering if there was some sort or way too configure this with no errors, maybe some sort of a reference indexing system on the C:/ refrencing too the D:/ ?

Any possible configuration ideas/possibilties?
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:18 PM

Not sure what you mean...but all external/flash drives should be temporarily disconnected when attempting to install any version of Windows.

If there is only 1 drive detected, only it can become the C: partition.

Louis

#3 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:37 PM

No, I'm trying too install an OS on the SSD drive, and then put in my 1TB for all the files.

But All I want on the SSD is the OS, but everything would default too the SSD. I was wondering if there was any way too combat that.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:47 PM

On Win7 I am not sure of an automatic way to do this.

My suggestion would be to create a Program folder on D: Then you will just have to remember not to get click happy when installing new programs. Most will allow you to point them to a different install directory either through a normal install or by choosing custom during the install procedure.

You can also do a Google for change default install path Win7. I got several hits doing one but did not read through any of them.

#5 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 12:56 PM

I'm very interested with spending a little on a SSD drive too install Win7 on when it gets here to provide even mode speed.

How ever there are a few problems with this that I am concerned with.

After the Win7 installation on the SSD drive, that drive would be labeled as C:/ and everything I have ever come across defaults too the C:/ for installation.

I still am keeping my other 1TB drive, and I wanted too be able too install the programs there. I was wondering if there was some sort or way too configure this with no errors, maybe some sort of a reference indexing system on the C:/ refrencing too the D:/ ?

Any possible configuration ideas/possibilties?

Install the SSD and disconnect the 1TB hard drive. Install Windows 7 from DVD or USB key, then replace the 1TB hard drive. If required, change drive letters on the 1TB HDD. You can now install program files and the page file there if you wish.

I first used a 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD for Windows 7 and Debian. It was pretty tight space wise, so I upgraded to a 60GB Vertex, then to a 160GB X25-M.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users