Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multi infections-little control over the computer

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 big trouble

big trouble

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:21 PM

Greetings all,

I am trying to get my niece's laptop cleaned up, but it seems like she has some doozie's in it.
So first some info:

the laptop is running Vista Home Premium SP1
there are multiple popup warnings from Windows Security alert, Windows Defender and Antivirus Pro
there are multiple warning of various files infected including dllhost.exe, chkdsk is corrupt, etc
an infiltration alert for various port numbers by Nuqel.E and BankerFox.A
the popups are almost constant
the internet (by ethernet cable to my dsl) gets disconnected in a couple of minutes in normal mode
in safe mode with networking, the internet is again disconnected

The alerts indicate Fakespypro, Alureon.CT, Vundo.gen!AN and ME, Hiloti.gen!A, and Renos.JM and JI

So here is what I have done so far;
I downloaded the latest MBAM and HJT from the net onto a thumb drive and placed them onto the desktop
Each one began installing normally then
They would not install, both show the install.exe files as infected
Went back to my computer and renamed both files, reinstalled onto the desktop of the laptop, tried to run and the same install.exe infected messages returned

So, where do I go from here? I gratefully received super help here in June with a Vundo myself. You guys are on the top of my list.
Got any ideas?

Thanks
Robert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:38 PM

Try this application first and then immediately run your scan tools again

Please download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your desktop.Link 2
Link 3
Link 4
  • Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
  • If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
  • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.
If you reboot the computer, you will have to run it again when you run another tool

Edited by garmanma, 11 November 2009 - 09:40 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 big trouble

big trouble
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 12:18 AM

Thank you for the interest in our problem.
So sorry for the delay in my reply, was sick with a cold and also did not receive your email notice in my email for some reason. Must be more diligent. That said, I tried to start the laptop this evening to install the RKill and could not get it to boot normally. Comes up with a choice of 'startup repair-recommended' or normal, entered normal, kicked back to the same screen after a couple of minute. Tried again, same result. I am allowing it to run the startup repairs, which it states could take some time. I will advise as soon as possible.
Thanks again for your help.

#4 big trouble

big trouble
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 03:32 AM

Ok, here is what happened:
Finally got the unit up after allowing it to start in repair mode
Began install of Rkill after starting the unit in safe mode ( the only way I could get a full screen up), seemed to install, but could not install/run MBAM or HJT-took a long time to do this
Rebooted, opened in what seemed to be a normal screen with many of the original popup warnings
Started install of the next Rkill, same thing happening- seemed to work, but no MBAM or HJT (their installs would not complete, etc)-computer running veerrry slooow
Went through all versions of Rkill in the same way with same results
Rebooted and all seemed well, ran smoothly for a time, not trying to run anything in particular

Then ran uninstall of MBAM from 'add and remove' programs since it did not seem to completely install as mentioned
Unit ran ok for a short time, then the screen changed to a safe mode look by its own apparent restart.

Note that I shifted all of these program from my desktop to the laptop using a thumbdrive, cut and paste or copy and paste to the desktop( was this a wrong method?)

Also note that the unit did not have any connection to the internet at any point

Sorry I cannot seem to get any logs for your review.

What now?

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2009 - 06:49 PM

Using your thumb drive, try these

:trumpet:

We Need to check for Rootkits with RootRepeal
  • Download RootRepeal from the following location and save it to your desktop.
  • Extract RootRepeal.exe from the archive (If you did not use the "Direct Download" mirror).
  • Open Posted Image on your desktop.
  • Click the Posted Image tab.
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Check all seven boxes: Posted Image
  • Push Ok
  • Check the box for your main system drive (Usually C:), and press Ok.
  • Allow RootRepeal to run a scan of your system. This may take some time.
  • Once the scan completes, push the Posted Image button. Save the log to your desktop, using a distinctive name, such as RootRepeal.txt. Include this report in your next reply, please.

----------------------------------

Please note: If Rootrepeal fails to run, try this step: Click Settings - Options. Set the Disk Access slider to High

Also try: right-click on rootrepeal.exe and rename it to tatertot.scr

=================================

:flowers:
Please download Win32kDiag.exe by AD and save it to your desktop.
alternate download 1
alternate download 2
  • This tool will create a diagnostic report
  • Double-click on Win32kDiag.exe to run and let it finish.
  • When it states Finished! Press any key to exit..., press any key on your keyboard to close the program.
  • A file called Win32kDiag.txt should be created on your Desktop.
  • Open that file in Notepad and copy/paste the entire contents (from Starting up... to Finished! Press any key to exit...) in your next reply.
--------------------------------------

:thumbsup: Go to Posted Image > Run..., then copy and paste this command into the open box: cmd
Click OK.
At the command prompt C:\>, copy and paste the following command and press Enter:
DIR /a/s %windir%\scecli.dll %windir%\netlogon.dll %windir%\eventlog.dll >Log.txt & START notepad Log.txt
A file called log.txt should be created on your Desktop.
Open that file and copy/paste the contents in your next reply.
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 big trouble

big trouble
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:01 PM

Good evening garmanma

Ok here is where we are:
Tried to run Rootrepeal with what I think was little success, even in a renamed form. It seems to start ok, then simply stopped and vanished without an opportunity to save any report.
I am not completely computer saavy, so I could not locate/find the Disk Access slider. Any guidance here?

Here is what came from the Win32diag.exe again I do not think it ran as described:

Running from: C:\Users\TEMP\Desktop\Win32kDiag.exe

Log file at : C:\Users\TEMP\Desktop\Win32kDiag.txt

WARNING: Could not get backup privileges!

Searching 'C:\Windows'...

Found mount point : C:\Windows\AppPatch\Custom\Custom

Mount point destination : \Device\__max++>\^

Found mount point : C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\Temp\ZAP2DF2.tmp\ZAP2DF2.tmp

Found mount point : C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\Temp\ZAP5C42.tmp\ZAP5C42.tmp

Found mount point : C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\Temp\ZAP62E8.tmp\ZAP62E8.tmp

Found mount point : C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\Temp\ZAP81A.tmp\ZAP81A.tmp

Found mount point : C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\Temp\ZAPE752.tmp\ZAPE752.tmp

Found mount point : C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\Temp\ZAPEEF0.tmp\ZAPEEF0.tmp

Found mount point : C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\Temp\ZAPF4BA.tmp\ZAPF4BA.tmp

Found mount point : C:\Windows\assembly\temp\temp

Found mount point : C:\Windows\assembly\tmp\tmp

Found mount point : C:\Windows\Driver Cache\Driver Cache

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ehome\CreateDisc\style\style

Found mount point : C:\Windows\Globalization\Globalization

Found mount point : C:\Windows\Help\Corporate\Corporate

Found mount point : C:\Windows\Help\OEM\OEM

Found mount point : C:\Windows\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\000021091A0090400000000000F01FEC\12.0.6425\12.0.6425

Found mount point : C:\Windows\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\00002109511090400000000000F01FEC\12.0.4518\12.0.4518

Found mount point : C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\LiveKernelReports

Found mount point : C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\authman\authman

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ModemLogs\ModemLogs

Found mount point : C:\Windows\nap\configuration\configuration

Found mount point : C:\Windows\Options\CABS\CABS

Found mount point : C:\Windows\Options\Install\Install

Found mount point : C:\Windows\Panther\setup.exe\setup.exe

Found mount point : C:\Windows\PCHEALTH\ERRORREP\QHEADLES\QHEADLES

Found mount point : C:\Windows\PCHEALTH\ERRORREP\QSIGNOFF\QSIGNOFF

Found mount point : C:\Windows\PLA\Templates\Templates

Found mount point : C:\Windows\Registration\CRMLog\CRMLog

Found mount point : C:\Windows\SchCache\SchCache

Found mount point : C:\Windows\security\templates\templates

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\GameExplorer\GameExplorer

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Temp\TfsStore\Tfs_DAV\Tfs_DAV

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\Media Center Programs\Media Center Programs

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Quick Launch

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\UPnP Device Host\Description Documents\Description Documents

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts\Network Shortcuts

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Printer Shortcuts\Printer Shortcuts

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\Recent

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates\Templates

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\Desktop\Desktop

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\Documents\Documents

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\Downloads\Downloads

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\Favorites\Favorites

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\Links\Links

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\Music\Music

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\Pictures\Pictures

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\Saved Games\Saved Games

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\Videos\Videos

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\GameExplorer\GameExplorer

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Media Player NSS\3.0\SCPD\SCPD

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Media Center Programs\Media Center Programs

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\CLR Security Config\v2.0.50727.312\v2.0.50727.312

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Quick Launch

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\My\Certificates\Certificates

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\My\CRLs\CRLs

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\My\CTLs\CTLs

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts\Network Shortcuts

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Printer Shortcuts\Printer Shortcuts

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\Recent

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates\Templates

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\Desktop\Desktop

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\Documents\Documents

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\Downloads\Downloads

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\Favorites\Favorites

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\Links\Links

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\Music\Music

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\Pictures\Pictures

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\Saved Games\Saved Games

Found mount point : C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\Videos\Videos

Found mount point : C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\AuthCabs\Downloaded\Downloaded

Found mount point : C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\057d458a5288ce359a4a46636ed70a4e\x86_microsoft-windows-ie-iecompat_31bf3856ad364e35_8.0.6001.18842_none_83af6d0646d60121\x86_microsoft-windows-ie-iecompat_31bf3856ad364e35_8.0.6001.18842_none_83af6d0646d60121

Found mount point : C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\057d458a5288ce359a4a46636ed70a4e\x86_microsoft-windows-ie-iecompat_31bf3856ad364e35_8.0.6001.22933_none_8444da075fea9e51\x86_microsoft-windows-ie-iecompat_31bf3856ad364e35_8.0.6001.22933_none_8444da075fea9e51

Found mount point : C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\1abf59ad881ccbd69aeb722934f822df\x86_microsoft-windows-m..ayer-core.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16926_en-us_2185ec15e486221c\x86_microsoft-windows-m..ayer-core.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16926_en-us_2185ec15e486221c

Found mount point : C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\1abf59ad881ccbd69aeb722934f822df\x86_microsoft-windows-m..ayer-core.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.21125_en-us_220e60b8fda4dbd1\x86_microsoft-windows-m..ayer-core.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.21125_en-us_220e60b8fda4dbd1

Found mount point : C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\1abf59ad881ccbd69aeb722934f822df\x86_microsoft-windows-m..ayer-core.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18330_en-us_235b5913e1ba36f4\x86_microsoft-windows-m..ayer-core.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18330_en-us_235b5913e1ba36f4

Found mount point : C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\1abf59ad881ccbd69aeb722934f822df\x86_microsoft-windows-m..ayer-core.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.22520_en-us_23efc7b0facfb7f4\x86_microsoft-windows-m..ayer-core.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.22520_en-us_23efc7b0facfb7f4

Found mount point : C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\1abf59ad881ccbd69aeb722934f822df\x86_microsoft-windows-m..ayer-core.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6002.18111_en-us_25586d03decf6ab4\x86_microsoft-windows-m..ayer-core.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6002.18111_en-us_25586d03decf6ab4

Found mount point : C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\1abf59ad881ccbd69aeb722934f822df\x86_microsoft-windows-m..ayer-core.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6002.22223_en-us_25d93a76f7f3591d\x86_microsoft-windows-m..ayer-core.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6002.22223_en-us_25d93a76f7f3591d

Found mount point : C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\1abf59ad881ccbd69aeb722934f822df\x86_microsoft-windows-m..yer-setup.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16926_en-us_dd0695ced5a51138\x86_microsoft-windows-m..yer-setup.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16926_en-us_dd0695ced5a51138

Found mount point : C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\1abf59ad881ccbd69aeb722934f822df\x86_microsoft-windows-m..yer-setup.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.21125_en-us_dd8f0a71eec3caed\x86_microsoft-windows-m..yer-setup.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.21125_en-us_dd8f0a71eec3caed

Found mount point : C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\1abf59ad881ccbd69aeb722934f822df\x86_microsoft-windows-m..yer-setup.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18330_en-us_dedc02ccd2d92610\x86_microsoft-windows-m..yer-setup.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18330_en-us_dedc02ccd2d92610

Found mount point : C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\1abf59ad881ccbd69aeb722934f822df\x86_microsoft-windows-m..yer-setup.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.22520_en-us_df707169ebeea710\x86_microsoft-windows-m..yer-setup.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.22520_en-us_df707169ebeea710

Found mount point : C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\1abf59ad881ccbd69aeb722934f822df\x86_microsoft-windows-m..yer-setup.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6002.18111_en-us_e0d916bccfee59d0\x86_microsoft-windows-m..yer-setup.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6002.18111_en-us_e0d916bccfee59d0

Found mount point : C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\1abf59ad881ccbd69aeb722934f822df\x86_microsoft-windows-m..yer-setup.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6002.22223_en-us_e159e42fe9124839\x86_microsoft-windows-m..yer-setup.resources_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6002.22223_en-us_e159e42fe9124839

Found mount point : C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\1abf59ad881ccbd69aeb722934f822df\x86_microsoft-windows-mediaplayer-core_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16926_none_0973ec0f51fdf005\x86_microsoft-windows-mediaplayer-core_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16926_none_0973ec0f51fdf005

Found mount point : C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\1abf59ad881ccbd69aeb722934f822df\x86_microsoft-windows-mediaplayer-core_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.21125_none_09fc60b26b1ca9ba\x86_microsoft-windows-mediaplayer-core_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.21125_none_09fc60b26b1ca9ba

Found mount point : C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\1abf59ad881ccbd69aeb722934f822df\x86_microsoft-windows-mediaplayer-core_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18330_none_0b49590d4f3204dd\x86_microsoft-windows-mediaplayer-core_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18330_none_0b49590d4f3204dd

Found mount point : C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\1abf59ad881ccbd69aeb722934f822df\x86_microsoft-windows-mediaplayer-core_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.22520_none_0bddc7aa684785dd\x86_microsoft-windows-mediaplayer-core_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.22520_none_0bddc7aa684785dd

Found mount point : C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\1abf59ad881ccbd69aeb722934f822df\x86_microsoft-windows-mediaplayer-core_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6002.18111_none_0d466cfd4c47389d\x86_microsoft-windows-mediaplayer-core_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6002.18111_none_0d466cfd4c47389d

Found mount point : C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\1abf59ad881ccbd69aeb722934f822df\x86_microsoft-windows-mediaplayer-core_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6002.22223_none_0dc73a70656b2706\x86_microsoft-windows-mediaplayer-core_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6002.22223_none_0dc73a70656b2706

Found mount point : C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\1abf59ad881ccbd69aeb722934f822df\x86_microsoft-windows-mediaplayer-setup_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16926_none_abfdf271d96f105d\x86_microsoft-windows-mediaplayer-setup_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16926_none_abfdf271d96f105d

Found mount point : C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\1abf59ad881ccbd69aeb722934f822df\x86_microsoft-windows-mediaplayer-setup_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.21125_none_ac866714f28dca12\x86_microsoft-windows-mediaplayer-setup_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.21125_none_ac866714f28dca12

Found mount point : C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\1abf59ad881ccbd69aeb722934f822df\x86_microsoft-windows-mediaplayer-setup_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18330_none_add35f6fd6a32535\x86_microsoft-windows-mediaplayer-setup_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18330_none_add35f6fd6a32535

Found mount point : C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\1abf59ad881ccbd69aeb722934f822df\x86_microsoft-windows-mediaplayer-setup_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.22520_none_ae67ce0cefb8a635\x86_microsoft-windows-mediaplayer-setup_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.22520_none_ae67ce0cefb8a635

Found mount point : C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\1abf59ad881ccbd69aeb722934f822df\x86_microsoft-windows-mediaplayer-setup_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6002.18111_none_afd0735fd3b858f5\x86_microsoft-windows-mediaplayer-setup_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6002.18111_none_afd0735fd3b858f5

Found mount point : C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\1abf59ad881ccbd69aeb722934f822df\x86_microsoft-windows-mediaplayer-setup_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6002.22223_none_b05140d2ecdc475e\x86_microsoft-windows-mediaplayer-setup_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6002.22223_none_b05140d2ecdc475e

Found mount point : C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\cc9db45d4d7a49bee9efe23f364bf80b\x86_microsoft-windows-scripting-jscript_31bf3856ad364e35_8.0.6001.18795_none_656cbc830d360ee8\x86_microsoft-windows-scripting-jscript_31bf3856ad364e35_8.0.6001.18795_none_656cbc830d360ee8

Found mount point : C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\cc9db45d4d7a49bee9efe23f364bf80b\x86_microsoft-windows-scripting-jscript_31bf3856ad364e35_8.0.6001.22886_none_66022984264aac18\x86_microsoft-windows-scripting-jscript_31bf3856ad364e35_8.0.6001.22886_none_66022984264aac18

Found mount point : C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\PostRebootEventCache\PostRebootEventCache

Found mount point : C:\Windows\Sun\Java\Deployment\Deployment

Cannot access: C:\Windows\System32\cngaudit.dll

[1] 2006-11-02 03:46:03 61952 C:\Windows\System32\cngaudit.dll ()

[2] 2006-11-02 03:46:03 11776 C:\Windows\System32\logevent.dll

I seem to be unable to copy the result (a short segment of 6 or 7 lines) from the running of the suggested cmd command sequence. No log.txt file was created on the desktop that I could find.

I apologize for the delay in my reply and again wish to thank you for the efforts on our behalf. I wish I could be more descriptive for you. Looking forward to hearing from you.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:26 PM

You have a very persistent infection
My recommendation would be to reformat and reinstall
If that is not an option please follow these directions

Now that you were successful in creating a win32diag log you need to post it in our HJT forum There they will help you with the removal through some custom scripts and programs that we cannot run here in this forum

First, try to run a DDS / HJT log as outlined in our preparation guide:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

If it won't run, don't worry, just give a brief description and tell them that this log was all you could get to run successfully

Post here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

The HJT team is extremely busy, so be patient and good luck
Mark
Posted Image

#8 big trouble

big trouble
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:05 PM

Thank you for all the effort. Since the next meet up with the niece is upcoming, time is becoming more of a problem. Unfortunately I do not believe she has a recovery disk. I guess a new copy of Windows 7 is in her future. I have never reformatted and reinstalled an OS before. Any location on the forum where I could get some info on that? I am very grateful to you and to all on this forum with all the assistance you so generously provide.

Best regards
Big trouble

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:26 PM

What is the make and model of the laptop?
You will possibly need drivers. I can look them up for you
Keep in mind if you buy Windows 7 you want the full install DVD, not the upgrade
You don't want to upgrade an infected system

Installing is fairly simple. You enter the BIOS and set the CD/DVD drive as the first boot device, insert the disk, and follow the onscreen instructions
It will format the hard drive for you

Edited by garmanma, 18 November 2009 - 07:26 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#10 big trouble

big trouble
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 03:50 AM

It is a Toshiba Satellite model L305D (shows model #PSLC8U-023010 on the bottom). It has Vista Home Premium SP1, 2 gig of ram, 160 gig HD (toshiba mk1652gsx ata device) , AMD AthlonX2 Dual coreQL-62. The Windows Product ID # of 89578-oem-7332157-00237.
I understand the need for a full install, no upgrade. Did I read that there would be a Student/Teacher version out that would be a cheaper price? She is taking Vet Tech classes, some of which are online. She really needs this laptop. Maybe I should not be so hasty. There are still pop warnings, but they are reduced. It is still running like mud though. I have not dared to connect to the net. Maybe all that is just wishful thinking, since when I clicked out of getting that info from computer/properties, it changed color scheme to vista basic and makes the screen look like safe mode. That was basically the mode I was working in most of the time to try to run most of the programs you guided me to. Hope all that is helpful. Sorry to run on.

Thanks
Robert

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:19 PM

There are still pop warnings, but they are reduced.

Trust me you are very infected

After L305D there should be a dash, the letter S and four numbers
Example L305D-S5868
Can you find that anywhere?
What country was this purchased in?

Edited by garmanma, 19 November 2009 - 09:20 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

#12 big trouble

big trouble
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:00 PM

Sorry for the delay, I was out of town. The correct model is L305D- S5890, purchased in person at Fry's. It has most of the standard bells and whistles. The hard drive is listed under computer/properties as a Toshiba MK1652GSX AYA device and a dvd listed as HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T50N ATA device. It also has a standard cam mounted at the top of the screen.
I hope that was what you were needing.

Thanks
Robert

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:43 PM

Here is the main page [1 of 5] for all the utilities and drivers for your model
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su...mily=1073768663
Mark
Posted Image

#14 big trouble

big trouble
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 05:54 PM

Thank you. I have been in contact with Toshiba, thankfully they have a recovery disk for nearly all of their units. They charge for what they say is shipping, but at $24.99 it is still a bargain compared to a full OS. It should arrive in 5 to 7 days. I did not ask them, but I assume that I will still need to load this list of drivers to complete the reinstall. Correct?

Wishing you and yours a happy turkey day. "Pie is just a round way of saying-love"

#15 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:56 PM

Use the OS disk they give you
If anything gives you problems then you can play around with the drivers
Any problems, just post in the Operating systems forum
Good luck and Happy Holidays
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users