Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

One of my Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 processor cores has a temperature consistently lower than the other 3 cores, WHY?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 montecarlo1987

montecarlo1987

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:35 PM

Hello. I have a question. I need to know the reason why one of my cores (Core 2) is running about 3-4 degrees below the temperatures of the other 3 cores on my Intel Core 2 Q9550 Quad processor. My processor is Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor.
Restarting and rebooting seems not to help, it is always the same core with the lower temperature. Is there something wrong with that particular core or something overly defective with the processor itself??? It rarely ever fluctuates and stays at 33 degrees Celsius. The other core temperatures are around 36-38 degrees at rest/idle and do frequently go up when an action is performed on the computer. I began this temperature check a few days ago, and now for the last few days it is at 33 degrees.

Please let me know what is going on with this consistent lower core 2 temperature and please provide me with a reason why this is happening. Is it something that is beginning to die with this processor? Is there anything that can be done about it to get all four (4) core temperatures in balance.

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:14 PM

My guess would be that Core 2 is maybe a core that isn't used first if an intensive program is launched, Maybe the system uses Cores 1,3,4 before 2. I'm not sure, I could be wrong.

Well, I personally woulden't stress if those are the real temps as they do not seem too be overheating at all

Oh and if your using it, speedfan is very unreliable IMO.

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 10 November 2009 - 02:15 PM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:28 PM

could be a miriad of things, like alpha said the computer not using that core before the others or as much, or just windows being windows. I dont know what OS your using, but XP does not fully support multiple cores, and neither does vista. Sure, theyll recognize and use them all, even vista will, but they cannot completly use all of them 100% efficiently. I dont know about windows 7. So it could be a windows quirk. Could also just be temperature sensor being misread as well. As long as everything seems fine, and the temps on all 4 cores are within acceptable limits, I wouldnt stress yourself out to much over it. every computer has its quirks.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users