Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

very low space on C:

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kayra_MS

kayra_MS

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:23 AM

I have a dell inspiron 910, windows xp, cpu is 1.6GHz, ram is 0.99GB, and with all the updates windows keep sending i have been reduced to 228MB of free space on a 8 GB hard drive. I recently perchased a 1 TB external hard drive its plug and play so transferring files is easy but am not sure how to transfer some of my programmes onto it without loosing the file paths. How can i use this space to make the pute run better too? Most of my important files have already been saved on a pen drive to help conserve space but its got so bad i cant even defrag. I have avast, firefox, and yahoo on the c drive and am not sure if i can just transfer these over by clicking and dragging. everything else that i can afford to delete has already been removed from the c drive and i'm at my wits end as to what to do with this now as no one i know has a scooby about computers, and i cant afford to go and buy a proper lappy or desk top.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:49 AM

AFAIK, you cannot transfer programs from one partition/drive to another (IMO)...the programs must be installed on that partition.

Over the years, there has been software which purported to be able to do such...but (IME) such was never successfully accomplished.

FWIW: http://askville.amazon.com/Computer-full-m...questId=3044322

Louis

#3 kayra_MS

kayra_MS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:49 PM

Thank you Louie for your reply. :thumbsup: What I ended up doing was deleting avast, yahoo messenger, and firefox completely from my c drive, along with a few other things that were not necessary. I was then able to do a defrag and re download avast to the new hard drive, but yahoo had to go back onto the c drive. Its freed up a little space but i think i'll just have to save some pennies and get a proper computer instead of this little toy as i cant do a defrag with y back on it, there's just not the available space.

kayra

Edited by kayra_MS, 11 November 2009 - 02:49 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 11 November 2009 - 03:16 PM

Well...it's not your computer, it's the size of your hard drive.

Pretty easy to change to a larger one...create a small (20GB) C: partition...clone your current C: to the new drive...and you have all the room for storage that you could want, along with XP on a suitably-sized partition/drive.

OTOH...a new system is always good if one can afford such without starving :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users