Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My site wants activex to run

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 samlf3rd

samlf3rd

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:02 AM

Hello,
My website is: pagepopwebdesign.com
If you open my site through stinking IE my navigation bar will not appear unless the user has activex option checked in their options of IE. In IE 7 and earlier they will get the information bar at the top that asks them to run activex. The really bad part about it is now IE 8 (as many as I've checked) doesn't even ask people to run activex.

I built my menu through Likno Software with their pro version.

What are my options? Do I make an alert box to them they need to run activex? I don't think this is very professional at all.

I think maybe my best solution is to try and replicate the menu somehow in JS and make a script that checks to see if they have IE and redirect them to a new set of pages specifically for IE users?
But I don't know how to make a script like that...

Anyone have any options?
Sam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:04 AM

From a maintenance standpoint, it is a horrible idea to have versions of pages for multiple browsers. Also, ActiveX does not work in Firefox, so users that use Firefox will not see all of the content.

I am not sure why IE8 is not alerting you that the page is trying to run ActiveX; my IE8 tells me every single time; perhaps you have changed the security configurations to not give you a prompt?

#3 samlf3rd

samlf3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:08 AM

Thanks Groovicus,
I will look through my program to see if it has any options like that.
I'm running IE 7 and it shows a popup for me.

And my menu works perfect in FireFox, Opera, and Safari. Only IE doesn't register.

Do you have any suggestions?

#4 samlf3rd

samlf3rd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:54 AM

I fixed it, I had a frame in there for starters.

The main reason was my javascript fader code that fades links, thus it was probably trying to fade my menu bar links.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users