Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 boutye

boutye

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:39 AM

Hello.
Following Runningraptor's problems.
Similar situation.
Have run chkdsk /r problems were found and corrected.
Had previously tried to do repair with original xp installation boot disk without success. Rebooting keeps trying to restart setup and then reboots ...
Able to access f8 safe and last known good configuration mode (eventually!) without outcome.

Inital problem was windows recovering from serious error/s several times daily. Adobe flash 10 ad-on seemed to cause fault. On advice temporarily disabled several ad-ons at a time to isolate culprit and then: death by trial and error.

System 80 gig X 2 hard drives. Amd Semprom processor. Energy Star ally. Xp home.
Would appreciate wisdom to restart, recover files and move all to the brand new computer in my xmas sack.

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:40 AM

System manufacturer and model?

<<Had previously tried to do repair with original xp installation boot disk without success.>>

Details please...error messages, steps taken to do repair, point at which repair failed, etc. Not every "install CD" is designed so that repair installs can be done...Microsoft Genuine XP CDs are, recovery/restore CDs may/may not.

Louis

#3 boutye

boutye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:58 PM

Ok. I have Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80gig and a Hitachi Deckstar 82.3gig HDs. The system came from a local supplier assembler.

Except for a 'do you wish to make these changes?' text box on screen, and I did, is the only other information I have. The computer continued working

that session until I logged off upon which it refused to start the following day, and ever since

Error messages are nil. The chkdsk /r run did not list errors; just that faults/events had been found and restored/fixed.

Repair/setup failed at entering the original security codes.

I have a genuine Msoft xp disc with the rider that windows has been re/installed 4 times and the original codes have to be verified and recoded by Microsoft Help. This is what I had to do when my current motherboard was installed barely 12 months ago.

I don't know which is the 'c' or main drive.

Hope this is more help.

Niall.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 14 November 2009 - 09:49 AM

<<I have a genuine Msoft xp disc with the rider that windows has been re/installed 4 times...>>

That's not a problem. I have reinstalled XP more times than that on systems I have had since 2001, with no problem.

<<This is what I had to do when my current motherboard was installed barely 12 months ago.>>

A new motherboard (unless it is the exact same one) may be (properly) seen by Windows activation mechanism...as a different system. Which is why product activation then kicks in. That is fairly routine and the fact that telephonic activation/discussion may be required...is normal. The contacts that I have had re PA have all been painless, understanding, and nothing to be concerned about.

I find it interesting that you say you received a BSOD...but I see no content of the message reflected. These messages provide clues about what might be the core of the problem which is causing the noted error/BSOD.

<<I don't know which is the 'c' or main drive.>>

That's easy enough to find out :flowers:.

To do so, you need to enter the BIOS and take a look at the main screen which reflects all drives attached and detected. The boot drive will be noted as "primary" and should be the first hard drive listed.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/bios.htm/printable More info than you need but a basic explanation of what the BIOS is.

The typical way to enter the BIOS is by repeatedly striking the Delete key once the system first starts to boot,

An alternative to doing this is simply to open the case...and see which hard drive is attached to the end connector of the IDE cable. That could be misleading if each drive is on a separate cable, so I suggest using the BIOS method.

But there is no hard drive that would yield 82.3GB as useable drive space. The link following illustrates the comparison of stated hard drive sizes...and the actual useable space.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/ph...php?p_faqid=615

Where did you get the drive size data from? The 80GB stated size is good, that's standard but the size you list for the Hitachi cannot be accurate.

Again...if you go into the BIOS...it will list the stated size of each drive and you can check the data you reported.

Regarding data recovery from the hard drive...first you have to determine which is the boot/system/C: drive. Once that is done, you can move all data files (assuming that there is no damage to either the file system or the drive itself) by removing the system drive/C: and attaching it as a secondary drive to any system. Your current boot drive then becomes just another drive on that system...and you will be able to move files from any partition on that drive...to any other partition/drive on the second system (cut-and-paste).

Once you safely move your data from your current system drive...then would be the time to attempt to troubleshoot what might be wrong.

If any of this is unclear...ask and someone will try to answer/guide.

<<Repair/setup failed at entering the original security codes.>>

That I don't understand at all. What was the message displayed? Have you tried that again? The codes entered will be unsuccessful if a typo of any sort is made...I think I'd try that again, being careful of my typing.

Louis

#5 boutye

boutye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2009 - 07:19 AM

Thank you.

I got the info from the the outer cases of the HDs.

I'll read the bios information and get better facts and figures.

Niall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users