Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Booting problem

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Redpolenta

Redpolenta

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 10 November 2009 - 08:31 AM

I have a Acer Extensa 5420-5038 with Vista Home Premium preloaded. My computer is not booting properly I've done everything I know what to do and I'm at a loss of what to do. I cannot get to e-recovery using alt F10 (I've checked the bios and D2D is enabled). So when it starts to boot I get the splash screen and then it goes to the following screen:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert you Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose language settings, click next
3. Click "repair your computer"

Other options:

If power was interrupted during start up choose start windows normally. (use the arrow key to highlight your choice)

Safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with command prompt
last know good configuration
start windows normally

When I choose any of the "other options" my computer boots right back to the above screen. I didn't have a repair disc so I downloaded one from Neosmart.

I booted from that and run repair your computer and use the system recovery option. I choose start up repair. I get start up repair could not detect a problem. System restore shows no restore points. And I have no backup to restore your entire computer.

I choose the Memory Diagnostic tool it shows hardware problems were detected to identify and repair those problems you will need to contact computer manufacturer.

I can access the command prompt option but don't know how to use that option.

I ran a chk dsk that showed no problems

I'm not sure if this is truly a hardware problem or some sort of virus causing this. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users